Thursday, August 20, 2015

Misconceptions

 We all have our ideas about different things. Conceptions and misconceptions. Since I moved to Greensboro I have become aware of the Amish or Mennonite communities. I see them in their buggies coming and going. There have been times when I saw them at the Mall. I find that amusing, although I don't know why I should, I'm certain they are people just like me. I think it is just one of those misconceptions I have. I figured they made everything they needed. But then again, I really know nothing about them, their community or their lifestyle.
 There is an Amish/ Mennonite lady that shops frequently at Save A Lot where I work. Whenever I see her I am confused. She wears what I feel is the traditional outfit, complete with the hat. She does wear Adidas sneakers in contrast to her homespun look. She is a very pleasant lady and is also accompanied by her daughter who appears to be about four of five. The little girl is dressed just like Mom except, no hat. She always waves and says hello as little children are prone to do. You can tell that she feels no difference between herself and anyone else, if you catch my meaning there. She is in no way self conscious. Typical child, innocent and happy.
 What I am confused about is that the Mom drives a car to the store. No, not a buggy, a chevrolet. She walks around the store talking on her smartphone ! She uses a credit card to pay for her purchases. I just wonder about all of that. The only thing Amish/Mennonite about her seems to be the clothing. It shatters any conception I have of those folks. In a way it is rather unsettling. It leaves me curious. And I shouldn't be so nosey, it is not my business. Still, I just can't help but wonder. Does she belong to some splinter group ? Is she a part of the Amish mafia or something ? I hear that doesn't really exist but was made for television. Now I'm not so sure. The lady doesn't say much when spoken to. She just remains cordial, but somewhat aloof, like she is avoiding something. Maybe she has secrets.
 I have never seen this woman with another. It is always her and her daughter. No husband or other adult. Why ? Does she not have friends ? Or is she just the designated one to run the chores ? Perhaps she wasn't Amish/Mennonite earlier in life and has converted. That might explain the driver's license, if she really has one, and being familiar with modern technology. Or is it a misconception on my part that those folks wouldn't be aware of what's new and just take the driver's test like everyone else. Inquiring minds want to know.
 Now all of this is not what I would call a burning desire to know. It is more a matter of curiosity. I'm certain I could get my answers if I were to pursue them. I only feel this compulsion to know when I see her in the store. I only exchange a friendly greeting so as not to appear surprised to see a Mennonite, if that is her religion, in the store. Trying to play it cool I guess you would say. I am tempted to ask, but refrain. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone, including myself. I'm thinking I have a lot of misconceptions about the local community of Amish or Mennonites. I know of some that harbor bad thoughts about them. I'm just curious. I wonder too, what they think about me ? I'm the " english " as I'm told we are called. Wicked people by all accounts. Conceptions and misconceptions. Wonder what they think about the " Bruce Caitlin Jenner " thing ? I'm thinking they are just shaking their heads, " english. "


No comments:

Post a Comment