Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Challenge life

 We all have our ups and downs. Despite my writing and personal interaction with others I have been feeling a bit lethargic lately. I wouldn't call it depression. I don't believe it is caused by anxiety. I don't think I have a medical condition either. Those are all " reasons " listed for feeling lethargic if you google the word. The solution offered is " artificial stimulation "  better known as drugs. Drugs with the label, medication. Just take some happy pills and all is well. I do not subscribe to that method and further feel it would be, in the long run, detrimental. I admit it seems like a quick fix, I'm just not much on patching things together, I want to do it right.
 I do think that we need to find the answer within ourselves. Feelings should first be treated in that manner. Physical injuries certainly require attention in a physical sense. The mind, ( our feelings ) should not be altered in that fashion without good cause. Introducing artificial stimulants is only a short term solution. That's why drug addicts call it a fix ! It only works for a short time. The truth is healing only comes from within yourself, when you are ready to be healed. All the drug and rehabilitation centers in the world can not overcome your own will. They may help to " convince " you, but they cannot cure you. I don't believe this lethargy I am feeling has any physical connection other than feeling a little tired and run down. The reason is what I need to discover. It comes down to attitude.
 I do think we all need to feel productive, that we are contributing. I believe that is a part of human nature. Yes, there are those that appear to have adapted to a lifestyle that contradicts that idea but most do so only with the help of outside stimulants. It is an easier path to just do what others do. We can conform, fit in and find a measure of acceptance. In that case it is a question of feeling challenged. I think that we are happiest when we feel a bit challenged. That is what puts the interest in things. We also require a confirmation of that challenge. We need to feel as though we are winning. But what of challenging ourselves ?  Against what standard do we compare that challenge and success ? I do believe that is, by far, the more difficult challenge we face in life, this satisfying ourselves. Just doing stuff for others will not sustain us. We may experience a feeling of accomplishment and a degree of satisfaction from doing so, but it is short lived. We need to discover what fuels us for the long haul. I do think that changes over the journey and the direction we choose to take.
 This feeling of lethargy that I am experiencing is a temporary thing. It will pass in time. It is just a part of the thing we call life. We shouldn't attempt to change it through artificial means. That is where things start to go off track. I see it happen all too often. Modern " medicine " attempts to accomplish what only time can heal. We mask the issue and avoid the unrest. The thing is not everything is a wound that needs to be healed. Some things are " discoveries " and only require a close examination.
These " discoveries " are the things we already know but may have forgotten. Reminders you might say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment