Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Regarding Passion

 Regarding the question of passion. How does one acquire it and what exactly fuels it ? Oh, I'm not talking about romantic passion, that is something different altogether, I'm talking about a passion in life. People have them for painting, writing, knitting, sewing, crocheting and the list goes on and on. They collect things or give of themselves to others, they follow their passions. But just how did they get this passion ? The dictionary says a passion is a barely controllable enthusiasm or the suffering of the Christ. I can understand the later well enough, the suffering of the Christ, to save us all from sin. The part I have trouble with is the other passion. I tend to keep myself under control and rarely get carried away with anything. I just haven't found anything to be " passionate " about I guess. It is rather a mystery to me.
 The acquisition of a pasion would have to come from within yourself. I don't believe anyone else could instill a passion in you. They may encourage your interest, but not the passion. So then,it would have to be the fuel that keeps the passion going. That fuel would have to feed your ego and feeling of self worth, your self esteem. Perhaps then I have not received the proper fuel or there is something wrong with my burner ! I just can't seem to get the fire lit. I occasionally get a spark and sometimes even a flame but it does not last very long. I just move on to another interest and I have many of them. I'm pretty much interested in just about everything. I took one of those facebook quizzes the other day about " what kind of knowledge do you possess " and I got general knowledge. I think that is a fair assessment. I know a little about a lot of things, generally speaking. I don't consider myself expert in anything, that would require that passion I find so elusive.
 I do wonder if people with a passion are aware of that. Do they know they have a passion ? I've written about that in the past, whether they know or not. I've seen street performers and others doing their " thing " not very well but they seem convinced of their excellence. They all displayed a passion for their craft. What fuel keeps them burning so bright ? Is it the polite applause they often receive or just the act of being in the spotlight ? Perhaps the fuel springs from their own well. Perhaps that is it and I just haven't tapped the well. That would seem the most likely of scenarios. For all the hours of practice required for an action the fuel has to come from within, unless of course you have a full time cheerleading squad ! No matter the craft or action there are lonely hours practicing, hours requiring fuel.
 It could be that I am just a slow burn. I like the sound of that. No firebrand, but warm and comforting. Like a fire in the fireplace I occasionally crackle and pop but mostly just provide warmth and ambience. My passions just simmer. Yes, I think I'll go with that. There are times when I wish to burn brightly that is true. The fire that burns the hottest however is the first to go out. It devours its fuel rapidly. I want to be around a long time so I'll keep my jets cool. Sounds right to me. You know when my wife and I were first together we had our song, as couples do. It was a Conway Twitty song, Slow Hand. Seems fitting .

No comments:

Post a Comment