Sunday, August 16, 2015

Supplicant or Celebrant ?

 As I was writing yesterday's posting a fundamental difference became evident. This difference concerns the manner in which worship was conducted in my youth, to what I experience now. Over the years I have written about attending and not attending church regularly. One blog in particular I remember quite well. I was talking about finding the house of my friend. What I was saying was that the various churches around Greensboro certainly housed him. I was saying that the Priest or Pastor is his representative and needed to introduce me to him. The few I had attended did not do that. Not their fault, mine I was looking for something the same, not different. I didn't know what this difference was but think I have discovered the answer. It is a fundamental difference in the approach to worship.
 It begins with the word, worship. How do you worship ? According to the definition worship is an expression of reverence and adoration for a deity. The manner in which you do so defines that worship. That is the fundamental difference that I am speaking about. The churches I attend now seem to be more focused on the " praise " part than the act of supplication. An act integral to my definition of worship. In the more modern " praise " services I come away with more of a feeling of self righteousness than of humility. My religious practices incorporate more pleas for help rather than shouts of joy. A fundamental difference. That is not to say that one way is wrong or right, only that there exists a difference. 
 Does our God demand praise ? I was taught God demands only one thing, obedience. Who could go before God confident in his or own complete obedience ? Not one of us, is my response. It will do me little good to tell of how much I praised his holy name without obedience. That is central to my idea of worship. In fact, I never spoke of going to worship, I went to church. And the church is the house of God. One should be on their best behavior and mind your manners. Excessive flattery is obnoxious and offensive, transparent in its' offering. Supplication may be the same however. Insincerity in either invalidates the action, therefore one is not superior to the other. The state of being pious is defined as being devoted or compliant to God and his will. In more modern times it carries somewhat of a negative connotation. The sincerity of the pious man being called into question.
 The Priest, Minister, Reverend and more recently, Pastor has made a resurgence, is the emissary of God. That is what I was taught and came to believe. The collar and other trappings of his office lent him credence. When that is missing I can not help but question the credentials. It is really a silly thing to think and believe, but a feeling I can not shake. He should be different than you and I, like a father. That is why Catholics address him as such. At least I think that is the reason. He is to be approached with respect and just a bit of fear. God, the father should be feared. That is what I feel is missing in modern worship. We are getting just a little too chummy in my opinion. It is another fundamental difference in the  philosophy of worship that I find unsettling. We are turning our churches into places where you go for a house party. Just a little too relaxed.
 The question for me is this, do we go to church as celebrants or supplicants ? That is the fundamental difference I have discovered. That is what I am looking for. I go to church as an act of supplication. I need all the help I can muster. I do not go to church just to affirm that I believe in God and praise his name, a name we do not know. I go to church to ask forgiveness for my shortcomings and beg for his mercies and understanding. I go to pray, in his house, with the hope of salvation. Only God can save me for he is the final judge. In Luke, chapter two, verse nine it says, " and,lo,the angel of the lord came upon them,and the glory of the lord shone round about them,and they were sore afraid. " I will stand before God and his judgement and be " sore " afraid, of that I am certain. I will not stand before my God, hands raised in jubilation. Hopefully that follows judgement. Until that time I'll keep asking for mercy and guidance.
 I think an interesting parallel can be made in society in general. Consider the parent/child relationships we often see today. The children calling their parents by their given name for instance. I see that as a lack of respect. And yes, I believe children should be just a little afraid of their parents. The fear stemming from their own shortcomings in the eyes of their parents. The fear resides in them because they know of the failure, just as God knows of ours. The fear of judgement can be a powerful motivator. The parent corrects the child regardless of how much the child may profess their love. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Although this phrase has been paraphrased from the Bible I believe it applicable advice. I love you is not license to do wrong and go unpunished ! Humility and respect is what is required for positive interaction among men. And, I would add, between man and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment