Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The last word

 I was asked the other day, what is your blog about ? I had to answer with, nothing really. I don't think my blog has a central theme. That is the reason I choose the title that I did. It is just a collection of haphazard thoughts and memories from my youth. I write about whatever comes to mind. Current events can be a source for my conversations as well. I do think my blogs are really conversations I have with myself. It is easier that way, I'm the only one that won't argue with me. I do find myself changing my mind on occasion and that is a good thing. Funny how things sound different once you write them down. They are certainly more permanent.
 I do enjoy talking with people. I will engage anyone in conversation at almost anytime. It can be unsettling to some people though. Did you know that is a quality that Europeans find the most unsettling about Americans ? We are too friendly. Americans tend to speak to strangers right off and that isn't done much in Europe. I expect that will change, if it hasn't already due to the internet and social media. We are all "connected" now. I have even spoken with a very distant cousin in Sweden !
 But back to the question of my blog. When I first started I really didn't have a theme in mind. I thought I would just tell my stories and pass along a few observations. In the last year or so I think it has become more of a philosophical rambling than anything else. I would say I have engaged in a discourse on social attitudes and approaches to the problems of life. It is in keeping with my intent but has taken an unexpected turn or two. It has forced me to examine , a bit closer than I like, my conclusions. It has caused some unrest in my own psyche. It sometimes causes me to question myself ! Discovery of truth is a frightening thing at times. That is because the truth can change everything. Truth has to be the foundation and when the foundation is built with faulty materials, well, it all comes down. There are times when the truth disappoints. That happens only to ourselves, that disappointment, because we knew the truth all along and chose to ignore it. The challenge lies in knowing when to just " stay the course. " Is it a " true " course ? But here I go, off on a tangent again. I was talking about my blog. Back to the question I was asked, what is it about ? The answer is, it is about me. I don't want to say that because it is rather self serving, vain and somewhat pretentious. That is truth, no way around that. I need some justification for writing this blog and have done so. I have used logic and reason. This blog is to be my written record of who I am. It is telling my side of the story. It is indisputable in its' accuracy and content. At least as that relates to me that is. I'm thinking maybe that is the truth in the whole deal. I just really like the idea of that. You can disagree with my statements and observations but you can't dispute them. I get the last word. It is up to you to listen, or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment