Sunday, August 2, 2015

Getting out of it

 Is it better to be a sinner or a hypocrite ? I would say we all contain some measure of hypocrisy and we are all sinners. So, of the two, which would you choose to be called ? Personally, I choose sinner. There is always hope for the sinner. Forgiveness is within your grasp, if you but believe it to be so. The words of the hypocrite can not be rescinded easily. A reputation earned becomes your possession. Now the question is, if I sin and then tell of right actions, does that make me a hypocrite ? What I mean is, can a hypocrite still give sound advice ? Or is hypocrisy itself a sin ? If that were the case who among us can speak of just and moral action ? Who among us has not strayed from the path ? I'm not necessarily talking about the Bible and the following of that doctrine. I am talking more in general terms. Any action we take contrary to our own good judgement would then make us a hypocrite.
 This is something I give thought to. I certainly am not perfect and have made many mistakes. some would even say, more than most. I wonder if it is hypocritical of me to write about the things I have learned by living. You can't change the past but you can hopefully give some direction to the future. In my case I hope to do that by talking about past lessons. By discussing those lessons and presenting my findings I hope to be of benefit. We should learn from our mistakes. Believe me, I have a whole textbook, if not a library to reference. I do think being aware of the hypocrisy will help with my understanding. I do not believe that the hypocrisy, whether real or perceived, will condemn me and invalidate my logic. Not as long as I try to eliminate it that is.
 I do think that we are on a dangerous course in society today. It appears to me that we expend more effort attempting to circumvent unwanted consequences rather than not doing the action that causes them. Is this a way to avoid hypocrisy ? Is that the underlying motivator ? If there are no wrong actions it would simplify life, that can't be denied. If we can " prevent " our actions from having undesirable results, where they otherwise would naturally occur, does that then make the action acceptable ? I hear a lot of people supporting that hypothesis. Of course another method is just to change the doctrine altogether, reinterpret the text to satisfy your requirements. I see that happening a lot as well.
 Included in all of this would have to be a lowering of expectations. We have to believe that man is incapable of restraint. I hear that a lot as well. Some even say it is " unrealistic " to expect restraint, that it is something man is not capable of. This excuse is used especially by the younger set, their raging hormones controlling their every action. Yes, I suppose that may be true when means to circumvent unwanted consequences exist and indeed, are promoted. Do not prevent the action, rather eliminate the consequences. Is that the way we want to go ? I see far too much of this thinking and behavior. We choose to medicate or eliminate the consequences rather than prevent the action. One doesn't have to look far to see many examples of this. We legalize marijuana and earmark a portion of the profits for " rehabilitation " centers in the advent of dependency. As if we don't expect that to happen. We medicate our children and give it a label. We release criminals for " good " behavior. Reward replacing discipline.
 The bottom line is, the avoidance of unwanted consequences does not justify the wrong action ! That, to me, is the ultimate hypocrisy. I may indeed be hypocritical, in fact I know I am, but that does not negate the validity of my statements. It does show I am human and make mistakes ( sin ) if you will. I need to practice a bit more before I become perfect. Okay, a lot more. Still, I believe man is capable of a lot more. We just need to instill that in our youth. Instead of providing them with " escape hatches " show them the high ground. Yes the road is a bit harder and it takes longer to reach your destination but that destination is worth the effort. Just " getting out of it " isn't enough. That is not what life is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment