Saturday, August 22, 2015

Expect nothing

 Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. Those are words my Mom often used when I felt that I had been cheated in someway. Truth is, when I felt like my expectations hadn't been met and I was angry or upset about that. The shortcoming was my own was the message. I never did like that advice and still don't to this very day. I don't see any reason I shouldn't have reasonable expectations. That is key, reasonable, but I don't believe reasonable is well, unreasonable !
 That expression came to mind as I was attempting to use my computer this morning. I had just received the free upgrade to windows ten and have been trying it out. All was well until I tried to use my video camera. I had gone to Summerfest, an annual event in Denton, Maryland to record my granddaughter and her dance company. I also took footage of the parade. Now, in windows 7 which I have been using it was a simple process. All I did was stick the card in the slot and presto, everything was fine. Windows ten however has proven to not be so great. Perhaps I was expecting too much, I expected it to work ! Was that unreasonable ? Do you sense the frustration in my writing ? Arrg ! It is doubly so because it worked and played the video initially. When I tried to play it for a second time I get a message, this fie is in a format that is not supported . What ? Played it five minutes ago, why don't it play now ? My expectations have not been satisfied. I am now seriously considering a return to windows 7. I have 28 days left to decide according to Microsoft.
 This is an example of what I mean by reasonable. If something worked before and a new " improved " version comes out I think it is reasonable to expect it to work. Am I wrong ? Mom would say, expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. Haa, she is right about that. I shouldn't have gotten so confident in this free upgrade. I did have expectations. The thing is, it is not windows 7 a program I am used to and quite familiar with. That program didn't disappoint or fail me, this new one did. That is the real message here. Do not enter any situation with an expectation of success. If you are successful then you can have something to celebrate. Should you fail, it was expected ! No, you shouldn't have any expectations at all. That's not reasonable. So just where do you draw the line ?
 This "advice" if that is what you choose to call it, can be related to life in general. Be content with what you have. Enjoy the things you have right now and quit expecting something more. Expectations will only bring disappointment. What you need to focus upon is what is reasonable. If you continually strive for unreasonable goals you will be disappointed. Depression is the end result. Right now I'm a bit depressed. I expected a bit more. I'm not quite certain just what I expected though. Isn't that the way of it most times ? Well you just never know what to expect, do you ? Wasn't this. If it is unexpected it is a surprise, right ? And surprises are good , right ? Well, then how come I'm not happy ! I know, it is because I expected something, should've expected nothing.
I do feel a little better now, Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment