Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Understanding

 Does understanding mean allowing ? That is , if I understand your motives or intentions, am I then obligated to condone that action ? I don't think so, at least that isn't what I was taught. My parents, teachers and those that are my real friends don't think so either. I was given understanding when I screwed up ! Given to understand that I was wrong that is. I may have received a certain measure of sympathy but that measure didn't include exemption. The error of my ways was pointed out to me and an explanation followed. There were plenty of times I didn't want to hear it, and times when I didn't listen, and it still didn't make me right. After awhile I came to an understanding of my own. I'm not always right and what I want isn't necessarily what is best for me or the society in which I live. To put all that simply, the world doesn't revolve around me.
 This concept appears to be getting lost in the touchy feely world of today. I keep hearing about, " understanding. " You need to give understanding. No, what is needed is to gain understanding. The thing you need to understand the most is, yourself ! Why are you doing the things you are doing ? This is especially true when what you are doing seems to be in contrast with the majority. Is everybody wrong ? I don't think so. This idea of everyone can just do whatever they like is just plain wrong. There are guidelines to be followed. Social conventions should be observed. Being disruptive solely to gain attention is not being productive. That is the action of the immature, the ones without understanding. Do not confuse understanding with surrender. Understanding something doesn't mean I can't be in opposition. When I understand, I can offer an explanation, not an excuse. Excuses solve no problems.
 It can be difficult to deny ourselves the pleasures we seek. It is far easier to rationalize and compromise. Those actions require little understanding but rely upon emotion. IE: If it feels good, do it. It doesn't hurt anyone else.  These rationalizations are nothing more than irrational logic. There center lies within the person doing the rationalizing. When others fail to " go along " they are then accused of not understanding. The perception then becomes one of intolerance ! Intolerance is unacceptable ! Intolerance is perceived as a bad thing, is it not ? But is it always so ? No, of course not. If our parents, teachers and true friends all tolerated everything we did, where would we be today ?
 Understanding implies restraint. When we understand we operate within the guidelines. We may allow certain actions that are unconventional but they still fall within a set criteria. Just understanding does not mean allowing or condoning. The whole thing boils down to just one thing. We need to reach an understanding. First we need to understand ourselves and our world around us. Then we need to understand those around us. The only way this happens is through discussion. It is through discussion that explanations can be offered. Excuses are just given, but explanations offered. We need to be receptive. That requires understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment