Friday, January 2, 2015

Getting started

Isn't it strange how we think of this as a new year and a new beginning. Each and every day is that and New Years day is just an arbitrary date chosen by whom ? Pope Gregory approved the calendar that we use today. I guess you could give him the credit but I'm sure he didn't do the actual calculations. Whatever the case, it is a beginning. It is our tradition.
I am not one to make resolutions. I will pretty much continue along as I always have. We are creatures of habit after all. It doesn't hurt to do a reveiw every now and again and modify the program. I do think it should be more often than once a year. I do not feel any pressing need to change anything at this time, hence no resolution. Could I improve in some areas ? Should I quit doing some things ? Yes and probably. But unless a sincere desire to do either is present I will fail. That is why people fail to keep their resolutions, they are not resolute ! You can't be resolute on demand,according to the calendar. Well, at least I can't.
Speaking of habits, it is my habit to write these posts in the morning. I was unable to do that yesterday. I was home in the early afternoon and all evening, yet didn't write anything. Why ? Because I write in the morning. The urge to write just wasn't strong enough. That sounds a bit, eccentric, shall we say. For those that watch the Big Bang Theory, Sheldonesque even. I'd better keep an eye on that. What other quirks might I have ?
I have had in mind to do a series of video essays. Put them on you tube. Why ? Just for the fun of it. I have a friend that was doing a podcast but haven't seen that in a while. Not that I really know the difference between the two. It is just something I have given a little thought to. Might be fun. A form of artistic expression. I can't paint or draw or sing or dance. I can give you my opinion ! I'm pretty good at that, or so I've been told. I have had those that tell me, you've always got something to say ! I'm taking that as a compliment. Maybe I will try a video essay or two and see if it attracts any attention.
I do think we all seek validation and affirmation. It is human nature. We want others to acknowledge our accomplishments and celebrate our achievements. We idolize those that we admire. Many of us seek that idolization for ourselves, secretly. I admit to checking on the number of " page views " my blog postings gather. I am pleased when the numbers are up and disappointed when they are down. There is a part of me that wants that recognition. I can justify that however with sound reasoning. In fact I have written entire blogs on just that subject. The stated purpose of these blogs is to provide a written record. A record of me and my thoughts. I am hoping that future generations will read them and " know " you I was. Another part wants everyone to know you I am ! And yet another part wants everyone to like and/or admire that person. I mean, from my perspective, why shouldn't they ? Then I come back to the real world and real life. Well maybe this will be the year. Might win the lottery. That would be a life changing event. I'm not counting on it though. Maybe this year I will write that definitive piece that makes me famous. Hey, it could happen. A new year lies just ahead, one day at a time. I'm rather anxious to get started, how about you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment