Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Amish wisdom

I have a few blogs that I read and follow. I enjoy them immensely and they often provide me with food for thought. One such is written by a lady that was once Amish. She and her husband left that lifestyle and joined the " English " as non-Amish are known. She has since become an author and has a series of books being published. These books detail her childhood and being raised Amish.
In her blogs she often mentions things related to her previous life. Things like going to church and their beliefs. For the most part I am fascinated with that. Yesterday she posted a saying, she said, often heard in Amish sermons. " Where the tree falls, there shall it be. " She went on to explain what that meant. She put it something like this, you do not want to die doing anything, or thinking anything, that is not pleasing to God. If you die in that fashion, that is how you shall stay, for eternity ! She went to explain that she had an Uncle that was helping an " English " neighbor and was riding on a four wheeler. He was killed on that four wheeler ! The Amish believe he was doing something not pleasing to God, a forbidden thing, and so shall not be allowed into heaven. She was heartbroken. She does say that since her " conversion " she does not believe that and that her uncle is in heaven.
I must say I like the thought of that statement, " where the tree falls, there shall it be. " I wouldn't take it to the extreme meaning, like the Amish apparently do, but understand the lesson. We should all strive to do only those things that we know to be right. In other words, to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. We do not get second chances in life. There are no do overs. I believe we are accountable to our God for our actions here on earth. I also believe he is a merciful and loving God. I do not believe I can just, find Jesus or belief, moments before my death and be saved. I don't think it works like that.
Using the analogy of the tree I would say we all need to grow. As we grow we will be met with influences. Some of this will be positive and some negative. Our growth depends upon the choices that we make. We will make good and bad. In the end however, when the tree falls, we will be evaluated. If we are not worthy, we will be just left to lie. If we have been pleasing to our God we will be raised again. That is the promise my God has made to me. I think it is a wonderful analogy. It is one I will remember. I'm sure that is the intent of the message. A reminder. It can be a frightening lesson if taught the Amish way. I would not go as far as to condemn their methods of instruction. The lesson is a good one. I can see where it could prove to be a powerful deterrent to wrongdoing. I just don't believe a single action can define my life.
I really enjoy these little bits of wisdom that come along every now and again. Old adages, passed down through generations. They hold so much truth in them. They are basic in their messages. A little more light has been cast into my world and I thank that lady for sharing. Something more to think about and consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment