Saturday, January 10, 2015

Everyday Things

Everyday things. Everything we hold as treasures from the past where ,at one time, everyday things. When a connection is made those objects take on significance That is if those objects are no longer an everyday thing. I wonder what objects I have that may one day fall into that category. In order to know that I would need to identify those things that will be replaced. What do I use today that will be replaced ?
It is true that we do not see the things that are in our own backyard. It is also true that the things we use everyday, we take for granted. I jokingly mentioned a sprinkler bottle a little way back. That was an everyday thing to my Mom, until she got an electric steam iron. I did purchase one from e-bay and added it to my meager collection of everyday things. I placed it on the top of the cabinet with my old lunch box. You know the type, black metal, thermos bottle in the top. They were carried to work by a majority of the working men in this country for a number of years, an everyday thing. No more and why has that changed ? That is because most now buy fast food. The ones that do take lunches with them usually carry them in a cooler ! We do tend to pack a bit more in this modern world. That is true not only with lunches, but with just about everything else. I can't see anyone putting a cooler on a shelf however. They probably said that about a lunch box too.
I can remember having and using a fountain pen. I admit it was a bit of a curiosity at the time. It took an ink cartridge. They were readily available at the stationary store in town. I haven't checked lately but I'm thinking they may he a bit scarce now. I even used a quill pen once. Messy,messy, messy. An everyday thing at one time. The last big improvement in pens that comes to mind is the space pen. They will write upside down ! Very handy and I had one.
I do think that a pocketknife, or penknife if you prefer, is becoming a thing of the past. I always carry mine. I do have to remind myself to not take it with me in certain situations. All the men I knew growing up carried one. They did serve a particular purpose. Handy thing to have when opening a package tied with string. Of course that was before everyone used scotch tape ! Grandmother Bennett thought the use of tape was a waste of money. In one sense she was correct. Now I see men carrying knives more as a symbol of " manliness " than out of necessity.
Cell phones, of all types, are everyday things nowadays. Will they one day just be a curiosity from the past ? Perhaps, but the thing there is, will they still function ? The old things I collect will still function, as designed, now, and a hundred years from now. I'm not against progress and will readily adopt anything to make the job easier or more efficient. It is the things that become everyday objects that I like the most however. The only stipulation being that it should still function. I do not think many of our " new " things will be able to do that in the future. Quick, could you get up from your computer and put on a record ? Probably not, not many of us have a record player. If you say record now, the first thought is not about music.
Everyday things taken for granted. We do that unconsciously. How many homes today would you find a newspaper in ? Not nearly as many as twenty five years ago. Will a newspaper be one of those objects ? Velcro was supposed to eliminate the zipper but that hasn't happened, yet. A pot of coffee, made by boiling water with grounds in it has progressed to making a single cup at a time. The K-cup ! Will that become a everyday thing ? It is close. But will the k-cup always be available ? Yes, as long as the consumer is willing to pay the price for such a small amount of coffee and the convenience. And that is what happens to everyday things, they get replaced. Replaced by the new, more efficient and more convenient way of doing things. The question is, what of the quality, is it equal ? That is the subjective part in all of this. I would say, it depends upon what you are used to, what you use everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment