Sunday, January 4, 2015

Being Blind

What if we all were blind ? Would the interactions between us be different ? I would say,unabashedly, yes. I hadn't really considered that until I began thinking about Facebook and the friends I have made there. There are some that knew me back in the day. Others may have seen me back in the day, and to others I am only a familiar name. There are still others that I am only a cyber presence too ! And it is that group that caused my thoughts on being blind. It is not visual blindness that I am considering, but the total lack of a reference point. I am whatever I appear to be, at least to those in the later category. I am aware that it works both ways.
The other day a lady whose blog I read was asking this question. If I told you everything I liked and or believed would you view me differently ? Her concern was that it would alter her relationships with everyone, including those closest to her. I understood what she meant and I agree with her. It probably would. The degree to which it would affect those relationships would vary depending upon the individual and certainly upon what " secrets " were revealed.
In friday's posting I mentioned I was considering a video essay or pod cast. I have since been told that video blogs exist also. I think that is what I was thinking about but hadn't thought of that moniker. Well whatever you wish to call it, I was considering it. Then this train of thought came barreling into the station. There are those of you that have not seen a picture of me or, if you have, very few pictures. Not many of you have ever heard my voice.
So, there it is. Am I brave enough to just " put me out there ? " What would be the result ? I would want only honest opinions and remarks but that can be a scary prospect. That is what that lady was talking about. That is the central issue. An interesting thought and one rife with underlying insecurities. Yes, I have those. How would I be judged ? Would I meet whatever expectations already exist ? Or would I be a disappointment ? More importantly, how would a video image,complete with sound, alter your perception ? Would it make any difference at all ? Perhaps not. Not as far as the relationship I currently have with my Facebook friends. They are, after all, just casual acquaintances based upon mutual interests or common backgrounds. I doubt that my " friends " list covers a wide demographic, as the salespeople put it. Not that I am opposed to that, quite the contrary, but I am what I am. And what is that ? A white guy,almost sixty two years old, from a rural upbringing. Everything about me says, average. Just the run of the mill. I'm fine with that descriptor. The fact is I am far more complex than that, as we all are. Yet, we tend to categorize in that fashion. Profiling in the modern jargon. Pidgeon holing it used to be called. We really don't fit in either. No one person ever does. I do consider all I have written and posted in this equation. I am aware that I write quite a bit differently than I speak. I can't explain why that is, just that it is. The thoughts are the same, it is the manner of expression that differs. It is far more difficult to write in a dialect. I've been told I talk in that fashion by some. I don't hear it.
All that is left is to do it. I am considering it and what to say. It is all about presentation, is it not ? What are your thoughts ? Should I remove the blindness ? Would it be a true representation of me ? You could argue that it would not and be correct. I could reply that it is and be correct. Perhaps it is only through blindness that we actually see. Maybe it is better to not see too much. Maybe, having been seen, we try too hard to be ourselves. Is that what " stardom " is all about ? Interesting to think about and consider. I don't think I have to worry about stardom though. I am concerned about my friends and friendships. I am what I am and that is all I'm gonna be ! Simple, no ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment