Sunday, January 18, 2015

Writing for a reaction

Reading some of the postings on social media I can only believe that some, write for the reaction. That is what I hope is the case anyway. If the world is truly filled with those that believe some of the nonsense they post, we are indeed in big trouble. I will not go into specifics, I'm sure you all feel the same way as I regarding some of the comments. Surely these people do not actually believe what they are posting.
I confess to having written a snide remark or two just to get a reaction. I do try not to be mean about it. I realize there are times when my comments can be cutting. Those comments usually are the result of reading some other comment that I find incredulos. Sarcasm is a bit tricky to communicate in the written form.
On this social media platform I have learned to temper my reactions a bit. I wait to see if the posting appears genuine or is a piece of verbal horseplay. I try not to be drawn in quite as easily as I may have been in the past. Being a person quick to offer an opinion, it isn't easy. But that is my problem and I am aware of it. It is also a part of my nature and can't be helped ! I'm not always right, but I'm willing to offer an opinion.
Writing for a reaction isn't a bad thing. Isn't that the goal of an author ? Authors do wish to move and inspire their readers. It is those that write expecting a negative reaction that bother me. I question whether they have anything positive to add to the discussion. Dissenting opinions are one thing, that isn't what I'm talking about. Opinions different from my own are to be expected and make for good conversation. It is the manner in which a person defends their position that defines their character. As is the case with a lot of things, presentation is everything. That is one method to get you to " buy " into what I'm selling. Foul language and made up " facts "are not the way to go. Completely dismissing the opinions of others isn't a good way to gain insight either. The old adage, look before you leap, is sound advice.
There are those that are completely predictable in their responses and postings. Those folks can be counted on to provide a certain comment or reaction in response to your own postings. They can act as a security blanket. There is nothing wrong with that, but they often leave me wondering. I wonder about their real reaction or opinion. Are they being completely honest ? There are times when it is best to say nothing at all. There are also times when a response is required and it should be tempered. Consideration for others opinions and feelings should be considered.
In my own writings I like to point things out. I want to give you all my point of view. Certainly I will defend my position and observations, there are what I believe. I do not write or say things that I don't believe to be so. I do like to kid and chide. I enjoy sarcasm and a biting wit. My opinions are subject to change. Core beliefs are far more difficult to change. If you find your " core " beliefs often cause a stir or controversy perhaps they need a closer examination. That is just something I thought to point out. You know, just being controversial doesn't make you intelligent. There are times when riding the other train will take you to a different destination ! The other drummers beat may be irregular, just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment