Friday, January 30, 2015

Spoiled or necessary

My wife had a necessary surgical procedure done on Wednesday. It did require an overnight stay at the hospital. The vascular surgeon that we selected works out of Baltimore Washington Memorial .A very nice and modern facility that is part of the University Of Maryland medical system. Everything went extremely well and the level of professionalism was impressive. Still, I dislike hospitals. On the plus side they don't seem to have that same awful smell that they did in the old days. I don't know maybe it has something to do with the majority of hospitals having the word " memorial " in them. I don't like that implication. The hospital where I was born was simply, The Southampton Hospital, and I think it still is. Doesn't sound like it was built in memory of someone that needed a hospital or was at the hospital, know what I mean ?
My wife and I have been blessed with good health. We have had minimal contact with the health care system over the years. As I sat in her private hospital room watching a flat screen television I began to think about that. When I was in the Navy I had my appendix removed. I was placed on a ward. I'm thinking that may be a thing of the past. I do remember when you got a choice, in a civilian hospital, between private and semi-private rooms. At Baltimore-Washington Memorial you go straight to a private room. The room we had was very large. With it's hardwood laminate flooring and large windows I would call it opulent ! I felt special and the care was excellant. The entire staff of the hospital from the man who swept the floor, to the surgeon were attentive and seemed genuinely concerned.
Not having a lot of experience in this health care business I can only speak about what I just went through. The level of care was amazing. There is a practical side in all of this and that is the cost. I haven't received the bill yet. As I was enjoying the luxury of that private room I couldn't help but wonder about the cost. I wondered how much all of this added to the bottom line, not just for me, but overall. That it is comforting and a wonderful thing can not be denied nor overlooked. I wondered though if this is just another example of the " spoiled " American way of doing things. My wife and I certainly enjoyed and appreciated that privacy but is it necessary ? That is the type of thing I was thinking about. Do we really need a flat screen television ? It is all very nice but could the money we spend for the luxuries be better spent helping with the overall cost ? I'm not saying anyone is being privileged above another based on their insurance or ability to pay, I'm just saying perhaps our minimum standard of care is a bit jaded. Are we including too many frivolous costs ? It didn't feel frivolous I will confess to that.
I will say that I am not complaining about the care or the facilities. It did make for the most pleasing experience possible given the circumstances. I haven't lost sight sight of the seriousness of the procedure being performed. I am certain that it all contributes to the well being of the patient. I'm certain that it contributes to healing. It is an amazing thing the level of care available. We were both treated with dignity and respect. Not that I have experience otherwise, but I'm sure glad I am in America ! We are a bit spoiled and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment