Thursday, January 8, 2015

An official job

Here in Maryland young people can begin working at the age of fourteen. Their hours and times are severely limited but nonetheless they can do that. I don't remember how old we had to be in New York state when I was growing up. I do remember having to go get a physical. First one I had since being born I think ! We didn't go to the doctor very often in those days. Oh, we got a physical every year in school but that didn't count. That physical was more of a cursory glance by a trained professional. The physical I was subjected to to gain those " working " papers was a bit more extensive. Seemed like a big deal at the time.
All this was brought to mind because my grandson Mark will soon be fourteen. He already has a " job " lined up. He is going to be a paid soccer official. He has completed the prescribed course of instruction  and passed all the exams. Once you begin reffing at a certain level and age group you receive pay. He is all set, just waiting on that birthday to arrive. In the meantime he may referee and receive service learning hours for that. Those are something new to me, but required for graduation from high school. I really don't see the point in them as they are quite easily obtained but whatever it takes I suppose. Maybe it is just a way to pry the kids loose from the video games and phones ! I don'r know maybe they can get learning hours for those activities as well.
He will, of course, be reffing the indoor games. It is a bit chilly out there for the regular game. I do think he would play out there if  it was available. The indoor game is a bit different but good experience. He has officiated the outdoor game for the younger age groups. Officiating can be challenging. One does need to develop a thick skin. Surprisingly enough fans do not always agree with the call, even when the call is an obvious one ! Something to do with parents and their kids. LOL I suspect bias, although I certainly never felt biased with my own children or grandchildren ! Respect the official at all times !
I will say I feel a bit of pride seeing him in his officials uniform. It must be good for his self esteem as well. I do think it is a good training ground for the real world. He will have to learn to deal with controversy and conflict. It will sharpen his ability to deal with confrontation. It is not a job for everybody that much is sure. It requires a great deal of confidence in your own abilities. Mistakes will definitely be pointed out to you ! A thorough knowledge of the rules is vital to success. People may get upset but the rules are the rules. Mark is a bit of a stickler for the rules and that should serve him well. It is a tough job to take on for your very first "official job", no pun intended. I'll be at the games to watch and offer support. I may be witnessing the beginning of a long career in officiating. Soccer is a growing sport here in America and officials will be in demand. Major league soccer exists today and will continue to grow. Mark will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment