Saturday, November 22, 2014

Places in time

Saw an old photograph yesterday from about 1960 or so. It was a picture of the movie theater in the town of my raising. Memories immediately flooded my mind seeing that. Then the thought, it was much larger than that. Probably was when I was a kid. Seems like a lot of things were. I visited my childhood home some years back, it had mysteriously grown much smaller too. I expect it all has something to do with time and space. Maybe that is why the expression, " it's a small world " rings so true. That big bang theory says the universe is expanding but maybe it is contracting instead ! I think that would depend upon your point of view, kinda like the glass being half empty or half full. All depends.
But about that old movie theater. It burned down in 1964 and was quite the fire and the talk of the town for many years. It was a classical theater with a stage, a balcony, plush velvet drapes and cushioned seating. Quite the elegant theater. I remember with fondness holding hands with my girl in that theater, I won't mention names but perhaps she remembers as well. Couldn't tell you the movie we saw, that was unimportant, but remember the girl. I was all of ten. And they called it " puppy love " ! Well those tickets , plus candy cost near to two dollars ! That was serious business.
There was a jewelry store attached to the right hand side of that theater. My Aunt Edna worked there. The name of it was Scribners. I assume that was the owner. I didn't buy much in the way of jewelry in those days but would stop in to see her. I would especially stop in just before the saturday matinee. I would drop a few subtle hints and leave with enough for popcorn or a soda. Pretty sly, don't you think ? That was in the day when your parents could just drop you off at the movies and not worry about you. The ushers kept things under control ! There was no backtalk or any nonsense allowed. We still tried. The big kids went into the balcony. Smoking was allowed up there.
A new theater was built to replace the old Edwards theater. If memory serves me it was called the East Hampton Cinema. Modern and slick it had no where near the class of the old one. It still had only one screen though and a balcony. Did a little hand holding in that one too. I recall seeing a few films there. James Bond in Goldfinger stands out. Grand Prix with Paul Newman. My Mom worked as an usher for a while and I got free admission. Had a good friend that was an usher too. I don't know, going to the cinema didn't seem as fancy as going to the theater. Ah well, I did see the movies.
It was good to see that old photograph and remember. That is one of the best things about this social media. Shame everyone doesn't just use it for good things but it is what it is. Like most things, it is what you make it. I am grateful for that picture as it carried me away for just a little while. Old photos are as close to time travel as man is ever gonna get, in my opinion. I take advantage of that whenever I can. Thankful for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment