Friday, November 28, 2014

Get the gift

I woke up and the first thing I heard was Frosty the Snowman. Ah, tis the season. Time is indeed rushing forward. Twenty six days until Christmas day.The grandchildren are past the age of Santa Claus. That is a sad thing in a way. I find myself looking at the small toys and clothes for the younger crowd and wishing I had some. Little ones that is. Not much can compare to that excitement Christmas morning with little kids. Even then, it never lasts long, but for a little while it is magic.
In years past I have hesitated to put up the decorations and the tree. I felt like things was being rushed to much. For some reason I can't explain, this year feels different. I'm anxious. The very first thing going up this year is going to be the Nativity scene. I have the stable that I built with my grandson and the figurines. It seems fitting that it should start there. I'm getting caught up in the spirit. I will not allow Black Friday to encroach upon my holiday. I'm just ignoring it.
It is time for those end of the year cards. That tradition didn't catch on all that well. I had an aunt that used to send one. It was a fine idea but for the majority of us there wasn't enough material to make it worth the effort. Just a few large news interests occur in an average year, the rest is filled with the minusicha of living. The details are not of much interest to others. I see suggestions on social media for other things to do that sound interesting. One is to use an empty pickle jar and place thankful notes in it throughout the year. Then, at Thanksgiving the following year you can review them. Sounds like fun but it requires commitment. Probably not going to happen.
Something I have noticed is, yesterday seems so far away, while tomorrow is rushing at me. When I was younger the opposite was true. Have I gone beyond a halfway point here ? Is there some invisible barrier that separates the past and future ? Einstein and his theory of relativity must come into play somewhere. I wonder if he felt the same way ? He seemed to become aware of that at an early age and became fascinated with it. Probably wouldn't have happened if he had a Playstation though. Just a thought. If yesterday was so great, and we loved it so much, why do we get sad thinking about it ? Because it is gone is the obvious answer. But is it really gone ? I say no it isn't. As long as we remember we can enjoy. Just as those that we love are never really gone as long as we speak their name, so too can we enjoy the past. It is a blessing to have good memories. In fact it is one of the mercies of life. We do tend to remember the good and discard the bad. We get to choose. And for me I intend to make my memories an enjoyable journey. Those happy times can not be taken from me ! They are not lost.
The Christmas season. Not an ending, but a beginning. With that gift the future is bright. We should not look back into the darkness of what was, but look forward to what will be. The promise of Christmas is all about that. Nothing to be sad about. The greatest gift has already been given, all that remains is for us to receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment