Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lessons learned

A new year is approaching at lighting speed. The year of our lord, 2015, is at hand. And that is an amazing thing if you really consider it,at least for a person born in 1953 it is. I remember fragments from the 1950's but real memory for me begins in the sixties. Nineteen sixty five is a year I remember for some odd reason. Someone wrote a slogan in English class, Drive Alive in '65, that I still quote. In '65 the idea of 2015 seemed impossible. The grandchildren are teenagers in 2015 ! Say what ? Hard to believe.
Unfortunately as I watch the news and current events I'm getting the impression that 2015 is not going to be the year of our Lord. Seems the Lord is getting left behind. It isn't politically correct to mention such things anymore. No longer are we talking tolerance,we are talking elimination. I was taught to respect others religious beliefs. Yes, I was often told those others were " heathens " or that they would be denied passage into heaven, but I should sympathize with them. I wasn't taught to destroy them ! I wasn't taught it was wrong to acknowledge their faith with an appropriate greeting. And this trend toward the removal of prayer, of any sort, from our public life troubles me. Why should we have to hide our faith behind closed doors ? There is no shame in belief. If my belief bothers your conscience, perhaps it is your values that you should be examining.
Maybe it is nothing more than the advancing years. I realize to some this is their '65 or '75. They have not seen the social changes that I have. I remember well the " hippies " and how in tune they were to nature. Yeah, alright and their communes that ended in disaster. Such progressive thinking and freedom. Well, it was fun while it lasted, about a decade or so. Now it is nostalgia. Wasn't that way to those living in it though. I wasn't one of them as I found the whole thing phony, but that was just me. It just didn't relate to life as I knew it. Wandering around the country or college campuses doing nothing productive. Basing your life choices on a Beatles song ? Not where I was raised.
I can hope and pray for a return to the year of our Lord. And just what is that ? That is many things to many people. For me it is a time when we recognized that the teachings of the Bible were applicable to our lives. A time when we lived with that awareness. Yes, a time of conscience. Where is that social conscience today ? There appears to be more focus on treating animals correctly than caring for our fellow beings, humans. Indeed we allow and support all sorts of behaviors that we know to be wrong in the name of being correct. The voice of opposition is being drowned out by the voices of the weak willed majority.Bullies love company and it is easier to go with the crowd than to stand for the right. Bowing to social pressure we are sacrificing America as it existed for almost two hundred years. Throw all that to the wind in the name of progress ? I think not as I watch the regression of America. Don't believe me, watch the evening news sometime. What once were considered aberrations in society are now the norm. A new year is approaching fast, another chance for mankind. Let us not forget all can be gone in an instant ! As the scientists debate the Big Bang and the Pope confirms it let that serve as proof. A Big Bang indeed ! Works both ways though and that is the lesson we should be learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment