Thursday, November 6, 2014

Anticipation

Living for the moment. I have heard this phrase used many times to justify many things. There is some wisdom in that we never know when it all may be gone. Life can change in an instant. Still, I believe I can move forward with confidence and hope for tomorrow. I look forward to the next day, not to the end. I also try to remain conscious of what I may be leaving behind. I try to act accordingly. These are my thoughts as I work and play. It is at work that I find myself frustrated with this philosophy. I get increasingly annoyed with  those that do not think in this fashion. That is to say, those that do not consider consequences.You know the kind, they do what they have to do for themselves, and no more. These are the ones that make it difficult for others. It is true at work and in life.
I believe we should live a considered life. Look before you leap, if you will. That is sage advice. I have had my share of not following that advice and experiencing bad results. We should consider others, if for no other reason than to satisfy our own philosophy. We are, after all, responsible for our own happiness. Therein lies a truth many never learn. It is our actions,reactions and inaction that form our life. We have control over that. Others will certainly influence our responses, but ultimately it is up to us. When others fail to meet our expectations we are disappointed. We may confuse disappointment with anger. That is something to guard against. It happens with me all the time. I am learning to recognize it. It doesn't lessen the frustration however. Learning to let it go is the challenge, I find the older I get the more the desire to instruct. Maybe that is why " seniors " say the things that that do ! It is part of the cycle. Is there some innate need to share our truths and wisdom before we leave ? I know I have been accused of always wanting the last word. It is true I usually have something more to add.
The irony in all of this is that the exclusion of others will not guarantee our happiness. It is the actions of others that give us the greatest satisfaction. We are all vain creatures in the end. We want others to speak well of us. For some this becomes an obsession. There are others that will feign indifference but they fool no one but themselves. They become the bitter ones. I think the trick may be to learn to live for each moment but in anticipation of the next. Isn't that the promise of heaven ? Considered spontaneity ? Humm, now that is a conundrum. Life can be confusing at times, frustrating even. But I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment