Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Paul Harvey effect

I have taken an interest in the family tree and collecting old photographs on those people. Some I have known and others I never met. Still others where born and died long before my time. I have a small collection on the walls around my computer station. I was just wondering what will become of them after my passing. I wonder if the kids or grandchildren will be as interested as I am ? Will they want to hang pictures of people they don't even know on their walls ? Would you, do you ?
I didn't develop this interest until I became about forty. The computer and Ancestry.com got me started with it. I am not living in my hometown but thought the resources of the internet would suffice. I must say I have been more than satisfied with the results. I can now build that tree several generation back with all confidence in its' accuracy. I was able to " discover " those ancestors that were unknown to my parents. I have even secured some pictures from past generations that are not even in this country ! Now that is pretty cool stuff. But I do wonder if anyone past myself will think so.
I have thought about making copies of all those pictures. My thought is to catalog them and put them in a safe place. I currently have most of them scanned to the computer in a file I call the Archives. I am thinking a hard copy should also be maintained. I don't want to take the ones off the wall and store them away, after all, the purpose of having them is to enjoy them. Thinking about that after my passing I have doubts anyone would collect them all together and preserve them. I have been to many yard sales and such and seen pictures like these for sale. Mostly people buy them for the frames and those pictures are discarded. I do know my own Great Grandmother had amassed a ton of newspaper clippings and many notes about our family. All of that was discarded after her passing. It had sat in the corner of the room untouched for many years. When Great Grandfather left that house it was " cleaned " out. How much information and old photographs may have been tossed out is a tragedy. I wouldn't want that to happen to my stuff.
I'm thinking I may construct a " treasure " chest for this sole purpose. I would keep the copies in there. No frames, just the documents. I think if I did that there would be a greater chance that these things will be saved. I think you have to take the work out of it. Taking things down and packing them away requires quite a bit of effort, know what I mean ? If you draw attention to the fact that these items are special to you perhaps they will survive another generation or two anyway. Especially so I think it you attach some sort of explanation to that item. I know that picture is my dog but right now there are only four  others in this world that would know that. My Mom and my siblings. The dogs name was Ladie, pronounced like an Irishman might, aye Ladie. The brother to that dog lived next door and his name was chewy. Just a bit of life trivia but gives value to the picture. Without that it is a picture of a dog. Think how many pictures,awards or cards and letters you have received over the years. How many others will know the story behind them ? It is the Paul Harvey effect. The rest of the story. I don't want my story to end. I think it may be wise to do some preparation myself. I'll write the book, you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment