Thursday, April 17, 2014

Empathy

I have a friend that has suffered a loss. She has lost a near and dear friend. I can read the sadness in her heart. This is a time when there are no words to say. To offer any words at all would seem condescending. All words are hollow when your heart hurts in this way. I can not presume to understand her feelings only relate them to my own. It is this time that the word empathy was meant for. Not to be confused with sympathy. I can empathize and empathy is silent.
I was told that as long as you remember someone and speak their name out load, they are never really gone. I believe that to be so. It does offer some measure of comfort to me. I still miss those that I loved. I still feel the sadness and the loss. I speak to them (silently ) and they answer. I knew them so well I know what the answer will be. If I listen close enough, I can hear the sound of their voice.
I know all the stock replies, quotes and comments. Each of them are given in the hope of offering solace. Rarely do they do so. That solace can only be found in your own heart and the search can be painful. So many chances missed to tell that person your feelings. So many times you did share your feelings. And now those times feel as though they are gone forever. There are no words to say.
I wish my friend finds a place of peace in all of this. I am confident that she will. It is a difficult thing to accomplish. There is a time to resign. That time can only be decided by one. There are no words that can convince or influence that decision. That decision comes from the heart and from the love that one has felt. Resignation is very difficult for most of us, as well it should be. But acceptance follows resignation. And with acceptance some measure of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment