Thursday, April 24, 2014

Do it

Despite all my writings and preponderance of lofty issues and ideals, I am not as " well read " as some may think. It is certainly flattering that some should think so. Most of what I write about are my own thoughts and observances. Or, at least I believe them to be so. I do wonder how much is my own and how much is repetition. I have never knowingly plagiarized a single sentence. I do think about that when I am writing. I have said it before and will repeat this, it is my thought that there is little that hasn't been said before by someone. I may change the wording " paraphrase " but the thought remains unchanged. As I said, I am not that " well read. " I confess to holding nothing more than a high school diploma. I have not earned, nor been given one honorably, any advanced degrees. In fact, the only thing advancing is my years.
I will also admit to questioning the value of such advanced degrees. In other than a specific area, I don't see the need. Mathematics and sciences certainly require formal training. Teachers and doctors. I can not speak to other more generalized degrees. I can say I have known many with degrees that I felt where a little lacking, if you know what I mean ?
I have found that some of my thoughts that I believed original were not. I do know you must be receptive to the idea of learning or your results will be lacking. The acquisition of knowledge can be achieved by anyone but the application of that knowledge requires a certain skill set. Much the same way anyone can buy a set of carpenters tools, but the building of the house is a different thing altogether.
I do question why some that hold a degree believe they now know all the answers. A wise old farmer once told me, " the more you know, the less you think you know" and I have found those words to be true. Certainly one should take a measure of pride in accomplishing that goal, but shouldn't that also lead to further understanding ? I do wonder if that stems from some jealousy on my part. Am I envious of that ? I think on some level I probably am. It would be nice to have that card to play sometimes. I could choose to pursue that goal, but to what end ? At this stage in life it would only be for for my own self satisfaction. The reality is I don't want it that much. It is just a nice thought. The thought is not enough to provide the motivation.
I think above all else what is required is belief in yourself. Education and advanced degrees are beneficial there is no denying that. They can open doors for you and give you a sense of acceptance, a sense of proof. I can show you my degrees and prove that I am smart. What can not be taught is self confidence. That belief in your own abilities and skills. The willingness to just put it out there despite rejection or indifference from others. You must be willing to endure dismissal of your efforts. And you must be willing to do that repeatedly.
It is a bit of a paradox. On the one hand you should be confident in your abilities while on the other you should have humility. A difficult act to balance I think. It is an act made easier by acceptance. But then again acceptance can lead to arrogance. Rejection can lead to not believing in yourself. In the end I think whoever wrote the advertisement for Nike got it right, Just Do It ! Good advice and like most good advice, hard to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment