Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Another Day

Monday was grandparents day at Greensboro Elementary. My wife and I attended ,as we have every year. This was our last year as Morgan will be moving on up to middle school. It is the end of an era. The significance of the day was not lost on us or Morgan. Ever since pre-k Grandpa has shown up and started singing the Barney song at some point. Over the years it became a sort of tradition,an inside joke. Morgan looked at me and said, go ahead and sing the Barney song, I know you will. And so I did. Softly, but loud enough for her classmates closet to her to hear, I began. I love you, you love me, and she began to blush. I could see that she was enjoying it and it is a memory I will save. That look in her eyes, a twinkle.
There are milestones and this is one of them. No longer will Morgan come to Grandmas house in the mornings for breakfast. No more will Grandma walk to the bus stop with her. After this school year is over, all that ends. Morgan will then join her brother Mark in the morning routine. Once again they will catch the bus together but without grandparents in attendance. Big brother will be watching over her.
There are only a few more occasions to make the cupcakes and cookies that she has always taken to school. That became somewhat of a tradition too. What would grandma make ? Cupcakes in all styles became a staple. Melted snowman cookies, and a whole range of other treats. A few may make it to middle school, but maybe only once or twice. All those things of elementary school being outgrown.
They do have a grandparents day in middle school. It is not the same. The kids want you there but they don't. You know what I mean. It's cool as long as you behave yourself ! And don't say too much. I understand that.
Morgan was teasing me about it being my last grandparents day. I told her I could still go next year, just that she wouldn't be there. I told her I could go to the kindergarten class and some little girl there would hold my hand. She looked at me and said, yes, and then started singing " it's stranger danger " and I couldn't help but laugh. You hate to see them grow up but are proud when they do. She is going to do just fine in middle school it is grandpa and grandma that will have issues, I think. Gonna be long days until they get off the bus. And even then we hope they will come over but they are involved in a lot of activities, so. Well, I'm not going to think about that right now. Like Scarlet O'hara in Gone with the Wind, tomorrow, is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment