Sunday, April 6, 2014

PJ'S seriously

Remember when your Mom let you go with someone else ? Like maybe you were going to stay at a friends house or their parents were going to take you somewhere. What did she say ?" Now, be on your best behavior ! " Seems lot a lot of us have forgotten that and sadly too many of us have forgotten to tell or teach our children the same thing. The next thing she would say was, " let me see you. " You may then hear, " you ain't going out of this house looking like that ! Go upstairs and change."  Life may be a cabaret old friends, but we should dress for the occasion.
These are the thoughts that came to mind as I read a recent posting on Facebook. The question was asked, What do you think of people wearing pajamas out of the house ? That is pretty much what I think about that. I remarked in the comment section I think our parents lived life a bit more formally than we do today. Or at least they made more of an effort to show up for it anyway.
I do think it was a bit more than that though. It was a combination of respect for others and respect for yourself. I've touched on this very subject a couple times before. I relate it to the story of Clothes make the man. You go out schlepping around in your pajamas and that is the way you get treated. If you cannot put enough effort into life to even get dressed, why should I take you seriously ?
When I say our parents lived their lives a bit more formally I mean to say, they had more rules. My mother never walked around the house in her nightgown and slippers. On a rare occasion you may see her briefly, but 98% of the time she was dressed for the day and her hair and makeup done. Oh, my Mom was a bit progressive and did take to wearing slacks and jeans ! Those slacks and jeans were always pressed however with sharp creases front and back. Dad left the bedroom fully dressed except for his shoes. They were concerned with their appearance. They were dressed properly for the occasion. Whether it was going to work, the store or out for the evening.
It wasn't just their manner of dress that made this formal living. It was also an attitude. There was a way to conduct yourself when in the public eye and a way to act at home. The two didn't always coincide with one another. When in the general public you were to act " civilized ", as Dad was fond of saying You greeted people you passed on the street and held a door for a lady. Risque jokes or other potentially offensive language or symbols were reserved for those closest to you. Only your immediate friends would see that side of you. There is a time and place for that stuff and it isn't on Main street. Yes there were rules of polite behavior. It was a compliment to be called a Gentleman. The Ladies were expected to behave as such.
It seems like today those behaviors are being looked down upon. I can wear whatever I want, wherever I please and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks ! The key part of that sentence being, " I don't care. " That only leaves one question. If you don't care, should I ? For myself I would say, yes, I do care. But the reason I care is not what you may think. I care because I feel it is just another indicator of a breakdown in society. To me it is a display of apathy. Does not the citizen reflect the society ? You may see the wearing of pajamas outside the home as a fad or fashion statement. I see it as an apathetic behavior. A breaking down of values.
A trivial matter ? In some ways you could easily defend that position. A fad ? Probably, it will pass. But that was said about the tee shirt. When we first started wearing them as regular shirts, with or without advertising. James Dean wore one and the Fonz and what image did they project ? Next thing you knew we had casual Friday. A relaxing of the rules. That is how it happens, a little at a time. I just don't know how you can expect much out of life if you can't even find the interest to get dressed for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment