Monday, April 21, 2014

Keeping house

The television was on, as it often is, more as a noise in the background than anyone actually watching. I was sitting at my computer, in the corner of the room, as usual. Out of the drone of that noise I hear, she was a stay at home mother. That phrase just jumped out at me, a stay at home Mom. I thought, wouldn't it be great if all Moms were stay at home Moms. I do remember when that was the normal thing. It is definitely not a normal thing today, it is exceptional. That is to say, the exception rather than the rule. We all know the reasons for that, economic necessity being the foremost cause.
My Mom was a stay at home Mom. Well, for a while she was anyway. At some point, I really don't remember when, she got a job outside the home. I can not remember ever getting off the school bus and her not being home. She may have been working during the day, I can't say for sure, but she was there when I got home. I know she did laundry for others, it was a carry over from Grandma who did that her whole life. Now Grandma was a real deal stay at home Mom, one with ten children.
When the ladies first began working outside of the home it was a bit controversial. It was a departure from the traditional family. Today it is the normal thing. That is why we even have a name for those that stay at home to raise children. Back in the day we called it keeping house. The Moms' job was to keep the house. The mans' role was to pay for it. They would call Dad the provider. I think that image is like an old photograph, black and white, but now we are in color. 
I would say it has changed society a great deal. Roles are less defined. We can no longer make certain assumptions. Not that it is ever a good idea to assume anything but certain things were normal and expected. What is normal and expected today is changing. My Grandchildrens' children will probably not assume a married couple are different genders. We assume that today, for the most part I think. Should a same sex couple have children what would you call the one staying at home ? A stay at home parent ? Seems like a reasonable thing. In that case would there even be a Mom and Dad ? Today we call that a non-traditional family. One day it will be commonplace.
Most of us will see six or seven generations. I am currently watching the sixth. A generation is normally considered to be twenty years. I am counting seeing my great grandparents up till my own grandchildren. I, of course, did not know my great grandparents when they were young, but did hear their stories of it. I have listened to each generation since. Now I am the grandparent telling grandchildren about how life was in the 1960's. Things were different then. There are a number of things that were normal and expected when I was a ten year old that would be considered out of the ordinary today. I'm sure there are a number of them you could think of as well. 
Consider this question. What Moms stay at home and raise their children today ? I think the answer would have to be, either the wealthy or the poor. How many children are being raised by a stay at home Moms without a provider, a Dad ? And what is societies general impression of that situation ? It is not unexpected or out of the ordinary. Did it exist a generation ago ? Did it exist several generations ago ? Certainly it did. I hope it never becomes traditional however.
The whole thing is a very complicated issue. Should Moms be compelled to stay at home and raise children ? That is an archaic idea now isn't it ? That doesn't seem right. So does that mean being a part time Mom is the right thing ? Or can you be both ? The traditional roles have changed. I would say in the old tradition Mom stayed home and kept the house. Dad went out of the house and earned the money. The family worked together toward a common goal. Today Mom and Dad go out of the house to earn the money. Who is keeping house ? What is keeping house ? That is the real question, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment