Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday

This being Good Friday I will not eat red meat. Although I do not follow the Catholic faith I feel like it is the least I can do. The giving up of red meat is a show of penance. At least that is what good Catholics are taught.
When I was in grade school, Catholics didn't eat meat on any Friday. I remember the school having fish sandwiches as a choice on that day. I vaguely recall when the Pope ruled that they no longer had to abstain As I said I am not Catholic and so it didn't directly effect me, but I remember hearing about it. I did marvel at the fact that the Pope could just change the rule. I know a lot of the older folks didn't take kindly to that ruling. It did create a bit of a buzz. Some said it spelled the end of the faith !
On Good Friday the church bells would ring at 3pm. I was told that was the time Jesus died. If we were within earshot, or someone reminded us, everyone would stop for a moment of silence. These are the only traditions I recall about Good Friday. Good Friday is a solemn occasion. In my opinion it certainly should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment