Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bored ?

I am fortunate to have grand children that live close by. They have been coming to Grandpas house since they were born. It truly is a blessing, albeit sometimes disguised, to have watched them grow and learn. I dare say Grandma and Grandpa can take some credit for their upbringing. They are both honor students and involved in community activities and their church. I'd say as Grandparents you couldn't ask for more.
Like all children however, and some adults, I often hear from them, I'm bored ! There is nothing to do. I remember saying those exact words when I was their age. I admit I still say that every once in a while, only difference is, now I think taking a nap is doing something. What I think they really mean is, nothing interests me at this time. I think that because that is how I feel sometimes as well. I have tons of things I should be doing, and lots of ideas for things I want to do, but nothing that interests me at the moment. I suppose what it comes down to is, motivation.
I do think that whether it is children or adults  an understanding of our motivations is necessary. What is it we are in pursuit of ? To motivate is to move, is it not ? To inspire an action. The question is then, are we doing this for ourselves or for someone else ? Is all motivation a selfish thing ? In other words, do we do things when there is nothing in it for ourselves ? Even if the only thing you do receive is a thank you or some form of acknowledgement, is that not for you ? In that line of thought my motivation would have to come from that expectation. Is it when I feel there may be no acknowledgement that I lack motivation ? That is in contradiction to what we are taught.
Perhaps too, motivation is lacking when one becomes impatient. Immediate satisfaction/gratification  is sometimes what we seek. When we can not find something to do to satisfy that need, we become bored. That is followed by, lethargy. We will all experience these feelings.What defines us is the way we find our way back. What do you turn to ? Grandma always said, " idle hands do the devils work. " There is wisdom is that old adage. It is true, but it is also true one must be careful what one chooses to keep your hands busy with ! Perhaps that is where the patience comes into the equation. Doing something constructive or productive without benefit of immediate satisfaction.
I do think boredom can result from an active mind. Perhaps that is a way for the mind to get a rest. A mind in constant use surely must become tired. So maybe being bored is a good thing. Maybe taking those naps is what is required. I think I'll go with that. I don't want to take those naps, but I am required to. Hmm, seems logical for a man of sixty but it doesn't explain why a child would feel that way. Could be it is just the opposite for them. Boredom for them results from a lack of use of the mind. That must be why Mom always said " if you're bored, read a book. " Sometimes I did get a choice, I could do some chore that needed doing , or read a book. I almost always chose the book. And when I think about that, when Mom asked if I was bored I always said, no. My hands where no longer idle, they were turning the pages. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment