Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Fun House

I was involved in a short discussion about " sleepovers. " When you where young where you allowed to go to sleepovers or host them ? I slept over at my best friends house often when I was in high school. We didn't call it a sleepover though, hey we're guys, I was just spending the night. Let's be clear about that. I don't believe he ever spent the night at my place though. There was a reason for that. His house was the fun place, mine not so much. Things were a bit more relaxed at his place. Not only that he had a slot car racing layout in his basement.
I don't remember when the staying over started. When I was twelve I was allowed to pretty much go wherever I wanted as long as I " checked " in. I lived three miles from town. My friend lived in town. I would leave home early in the morning and head uptown. That is where the baseball diamond was and the basketball court. Well, all the good stuff was upstreet. At some point I began calling home and asking to spend the night.
Of course this was happening back in the sixties. Things were a bit different back then. No cell phones for one thing. To check in I had to find a telephone. Usually just went to my friends house and used his. There were times when I'd spring for the call, cost ten cents ! I'd give up a coke for that call, yeah, a coke was ten cents too. It was a small town and everyone knew each other. More importantly most everyone knew who your parents were. Sometimes these other people would " check " in for you. Not a good thing when that happened, they didn't call Mom to say what a good kid you were ! It was a lot safer environment than today.
Activities are far more structured nowadays. There is a lot more for kids to do and places to go. At least were I grew up we were a bit limited as far as facilities went. We had ball fields, tennis courts ( not used by many kids ) and basketball courts. The big thing was we had the ocean and the bay. There was a roller rink but that was a way to go. The movie theater only showed one movie at a time. Sometimes the same movie for two weeks !
I do think sleepovers are a good thing for children. It gives them a sense of independence. It does show them how other people live. There are differences. At my house, Dad was in charge of that television. Even when my friend was there my Dad dictated what was being watched. Only had two channels anyway but that is not the point. Now when I was at his house, his Dad let you pick. That was different, to me. At his house they wore pajamas to bed. I didn't and still don't. In the morning he would go out to the kitchen in his pajamas and I would be dressed. I never left my bedroom without being dressed, unless it was in the middle of the night to sneak to the bathroom. I have seen pictures of when I was real little wearing pajamas but I sure don't remember it.
Sometimes I wish my house could have been the fun house. I admit to not giving it much thought as a kid. You know how you are, just busy and doing your own thing. Looking back the picture is different. How about you ? Was your house the " fun " house ? Did you allow your kids to have sleepovers or go to them ? What about Grandkids ? I have mine stay over often and wouldn't have it any other way. At least Grandpas' is the fun house !

No comments:

Post a Comment