Monday, December 31, 2012

Apron Strings

What does a Grandma look like ? The answer is different for most of us, depending upon our ages. That is, if we are picturing our own Grandmother. But I'm talking about a stereotypical Grandmother. A grey haired lady, back slightly bent, hair on top of her head in a bun, wearing glasses, a house dress and a big apron. That is the picture of a Grandmother. Was a day when there was some truth to that image. That is how stereotypes begin after all. My Grandmother was a good example. The description I gave could have been her,almost to the tee.
Grandmas today seldom fit that description. They are more likely to be wearing slacks, their hair dyed an appropriate shade, have contact lenses and holding an I-phone. Most likely spending more time on Facebook than in the kitchen. Dresses are for dressing up, not wearing around the house. I can't recall the last time I saw a lady in a dress doing housework. Would seem a little odd, now wouldn't it. And an apron. Well that is a special piece of attire seldom worn. See it worn more outside at a barbecue than anywhere else. The cooks on television wear them sometimes. My Grandma, and to a lesser extent, my mother always wore her apron.
Kitchen aprons were a necessary part of the wardrobe back in the day. The kitchen was a messy place. Flour everywhere and grease spattering all the time. Peeling those vegetables and hand washing those dishes could get a gals dress all messed up. Grandmas apron was what I think they called a bib style apron. Had a strap around the neck and a tie in the back. Covered her whole dress and had two large pockets in front. Those pockets held dust rags and other tools of the trade. The apron itself could be used as a pot holder,seen my Grandmother do just that many a time. My moms apron was a lot smaller and a little fancier. A sign of the times I suppose. I'm thinking that aprons went away just about the same time as women started wearing slacks around the house. Then women got jobs outside the house and here we are today.
You could say some of our troubles today come from the lack of an apron. Things are getting messy and we are not prepared. Was a day when a women had her kids tied to her apron strings. Kinda kept a close watch on them, keeping them out of trouble. People would sometimes have to tell her, cut that child loose from them apron strings. That just meant they were ready to face the world on their own. Now, there are no apron strings at all. See my point ?
Now before you gals get all in an uproar I'm not being chauvinistic. It is just a metaphor. I'm just saying back  then more time was spent raising your children, than worrying about raising a few dollars. Not that it isn't a necessity in today's world because it certainly is. Some of these kids I see today need to be tied up ! Tied up and taught how to behave themselves. Apron strings work well for that purpose. And if that don't work, well maybe we need to start building woodsheds again. They did more than store wood you know. Where do you think the board of education met ? Just sayin'.





No comments:

Post a Comment