Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Time to mend

It seems to me a lot of problems we have today started with Dr. Spock. No, not Star Trek the other Dr. Spock. Remember him ? The one that said we shouldn't discipline our children, we should reason with them. We shouldn't spank them or hold them accountable for their actions. Remember him ? Seems like ever since some started using those techniques, mental illness in children has increased. These children are now raising children and, heaven forbid, Grandchildren.
I was raised a little bit different from that. I was instructed in proper behavior. I was expected to behave in that fashion. Behavior other than that was not tolerated and corrective measures were taken. I was told the reason, " because I said so " being the most popular. I was held fully accountable for my choices. Punishment up to and including corporal punishment would be administered swiftly and surely. Didn't matter where I was, at home, the store, or Grandmas house. Justice prevailed every time.
I was taught to respect my elders and those in authority. When I was young I was," just that much afraid of my parents and the authorities " having not yet realized it was called, respect, just yet. The response was the same though, appropriate behavior.
I was sent to church. I wasn't asked if I wanted to go to church, I was sent ! The preaching was a bit different back then too. Heavy on hell and damnation with an occasional mention of salvation. You did have a chance to save your everlasting soul if you behaved correctly. Whereas I do not attend a church on a regular basis  today, it did make a lasting impression. Lessons I have not forgotten.
In all honesty I have never read Dr. Spocks book nor do I have knowledge of his methods. What I do know is all hearsay. I do believe a portion of the trouble stems from a lack of guidance and instruction. The current attitude that everything is alright is wrong and misguided. Everything is not alright ! I have watched the degradation of the American way of life. I watch as we teach the children that whatever choices they make are fine and we support them. We must not be negative as we may damage their ego or self esteem. Well I'm here to tell you my self esteem was molded into shape. Sometimes it took a few words,at others, a little tap here and there. I was encouraged, sometimes even pushed, to do the right thing. I was made to apologize for my mistakes and pay for them. More importantly though I was made to understand. Made to understand how it felt to be hurt, bullied or made fun of. These lessons were taught. How were they taught ? I learned by being allowed to learn. My parents didn't intervene in every little dispute or problem I had. There were no counselors, therapists and child psychologists being consulted at every turn. If you needed to see one of these the problem was considered serious. Medicating you into submission wasn't an option either. I learned and came to understand. Understanding the value of life and understanding how to treat others.
We will all hear about Gun control and how that is necessary. There are over 200 million guns out there right now. A little late to worry about that, isn't it ? Closing the barn door a little late. There will much discussion about Mental Illness. How do we treat this ? More medications ? More counseling, therapy sessions and hugging ? Well, how has that been working out for you ?
I don't have the answers. Wish I did. I can look at the past and compare it to today. I can see the differences. Technology has changed. Knowledge has increased. Laws have changed and attitudes shifted. The one constant is people. People are still just people. The outside influences are what shape people. We need to compare those outside experiences, and in them lies the answers. What is influencing man to behave in increasingly irrational manner ? Could it be a lack of structure ? Could it be a lack of constants ? When all behaviors, with few exceptions, are allowed and indeed embraced, should we reasonably expect order ?
Behavior is judged by morality. The moral fabric has become frayed and worn. It is time to mend the moral fabric of this nation. It is time to review the lessons learned from our founding fathers. They were all men of morality. They were not infallible in their belief of behavior, but they were moral. And dare I be so bold, men of faith ! 

3 comments:

  1. "It is time to review the lessons learned from our founding fathers. They were all men of morality. They were not infallible in their belief of behavior, but they were moral." - Ben Reichart

    A better phraselogy in stating reality would be that "they all grappled with moral issues; towards the attempt at being moral; as has been true through the ages and will be". They all weren't men of morality; they had human frailty and fell short as much as they attempted to make their way through their times with its challenges to justice. Morality is based on justice; a topic I have poorly weighed on before and will not re-open. I think there are problems of community structure and discipline which in the past used to more important than today. The morality of the past is no quide to the future. Morality in Roman times would be face the same challenges as the Middle Ages or the Civil War or today. Humans basically remain the same. The negative "outside" influences may change yet remain the same. Morality is an "internal" issue addressed through the ages to counter these influences. It seems that morality is an internal compass to navigate life's problems. Picking the good over what one's impluses would have. Marcus Aurelius had some commentary similiar to yours; as well as others over the centuries through to the "Founding Fathers" and voices today. Maybe its the attempt and the means to be moral that is the lesson of our forefathers. Morality and immorality will oppose each other face to face until the end of time. There is no royal road to morality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement, Ben. The hard road toward this country's turn around would be the homelife, I believe. Children are raising themselves. Babies are having babies. Stuff is offered instead of parental time and attention. Respect is non-existant and consequences are almost nil for any misbehavior. Teachers and parents are forbidden to punish in any meaningful way...'time out', after-school suspension, 'think about what you've done.' Hogwash! And my own personal belief...get GOD back into the homes first, and the schools, not just in church where even there His precepts have been distorted. God is being excommunicated.... He would change all things, if anyone would let Him....individually and on a grander scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I responded recently to someone who posted something about how God wasn't allowed in school and that was the "problem" and it made me angry. Parents who expect the schools to teach their children about faith and religion are so off base! They learn at home, they learn from watching their parents, and God will always be in school as long as He is with us, which He always is! You are right Ben - parents are abdicating their responsibilities by expecting the schools to become parents - they want the schools to teach sex education, religion, morals, etc. The schools can only show examples to our children - we must teach them the character they need to have to be moral and upright citizens! WE ARE THE PARENTS, NOT THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION OR TEACHERS! Kathy is right - too many children are left alone or have terrible home lifes. We've been saying for years that as a society we are in trouble if we don't take care of our children because so many parents are not....oh I could go on an on!!! Did you open up a can of worms Ben!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete