Saturday, December 8, 2012

Words

Lately I have become fascinated with vocabulary. I am amused by the choice of words, both written and spoken, and the meanings they convey. More correctly I have become amused by the conclusions others draw about you by your selection of words. More so, when these same people have known you for quite some time. It is of particular amusement when these same people now reach the conclusion, " you're smarter than I thought you were. " Just what does that mean anyway ?
I've always been a word person. Always have enjoyed the use of words to describe things. Painting the picture,as they say. I've also been aware of dialects. Different groups of people speaking the same language but in a different fashion. The many ways of conveying your emotions. In the " vernacular " of the time and place as it were. I have picked up bits and pieces of dialects from around the country and lace them into my speech. I have grown accustomed to certain mannerism in speech depending on the environment. I was in the Navy for a number of years and it is true the speech patterns and use of certain phrases differ there from society in general. At least that was true in my time. I have noticed the increased use of vulgarity in everyday speech over the years.
The really " big " words, those used in polite company, have traditionally been the provenance of the wealthy or learned. Often misconstrued as being arrogance. I used to think so myself until the last few years or so. Now I view them as one more way to explain my feelings. A means to more aptly describe something. Language is what separates man from man. Making our feelings and thoughts known clearly without offense.
That is the goal of any language. By choosing the correct terms,phrases and vocabulary we can enter another man's world. The language I choose to speak on the street corner, should certainly differ from the language I use at a formal dinner party.
This fascination with vocabulary has developed since I began writing this blog. I first just wrote the words as they came to mind. In my native vernacular. Then I began to find that my vocabulary was sometimes inadequate to describe the intent. Words floated around my head I thought might apply. I confess to checking their meaning with Webster online before using them. To my own surprise the meanings were usually what I had anticipated. Must have learned more of this language than I thought. And this process continues.
I must say the interjection of some words not commonly heard can lend some credence to your thought or argument. I find it throws others off their balance. String a number of them together and one can stifle the response of others. It also lends a sense of cordiality to the conversation. Something I think we need a lot more of these days. It is my observation that our speech patterns have become "angrier"and more confrontational over the years. I do long for gentler times. Not all emotions or actions can be described with just four letters ! I grow weary of that adjective.
The truth of the matter is this, my intelligence quotient has not increased by using a larger vocabulary. It is only a perception on the part of those listening or reading these words. Some will be fooled, others will not. But I feel by careful selection of vocabulary it is possible to convey your meanings. The comprehension lies in the interpretation of the words. I just look them up.



2 comments:

  1. "my intelligence quotient has not increased" - Ben Reichart.

    Maybe you are just catching up with your intelligence that was always there ???? You obviously spent more time paying attention in English class (or somewhere) then most of us. And looking up things in dictionaries is more effort than most do. It all has to increase your vocabulary. And then again you are motivated with your goal as wordsmith.
    Conveyance of information and emotion is the purpose of language amongst humans. Everyone everywhere has their different styles and abilities.
    As a kid my observation was that the adults all spoke to one another; despite different languages - I thought it was all one language !!! What a discovery to find out they really couldn't communicate fully because one basically spoke English or Italian or German or Chinese or Polish or 'Bonac' etc (all in EH)!!!
    In EH at our church Fr.Huntington (an ancestor of the famous Huntingtons) spoke with such large words that we assumed his high intelligence even though his sermons required a dictionary (and thesaurus) as well as a Bible to decipher. I learned one of the largest words I know from that experience. He was a "sesquipedalian"; one of my favorite quotes speaking of summer folks in EH "your estivation supports our hibernation".
    Another long word I know was taught to me by a lab partner in vet school. He stuttered terribly .... except over long scientific names (when I would stutter). He could rattle off "macracanthorhynchus hirudinaceus" with ease; I can still say it perfectly today even though I have somewhat forgotten what it is !!!

    "vocabulary was sometimes inadequate to describe the intent" .... "Not all emotions or actions can be described with just four letters"- Ben Reichart

    The Germans may have such long words because they seem to like to put more meaning into their vocabulary by just adding two words together and extending meaning;never could learn any German because of it. There is a logic to it. Spanish seems to be a language that has short phrases to increase civility or incivility depending on the need. I once spent a week in Mexico cussing at a fellow American who fancied he spoke Spanish (but failed to learn their cusswords .... or phrases). It kept the Mexicans entertained all day; I would deliver the words in the most pleasant manner; kind of like chewing out your dog with pleasant tones (the dog doesn't understand the words and thinks they are complimentary). In Hispanic culture there are much more "colorful" negative expressions; they are more conceptual - cussing in "English" is pretty dull after you master the few common four letter words which is really all there are. Always a good idea to find out the "bad" words in a language before plunging in ...... saves embarrassment. At one point traveling past a Mexican marketplace I commented on what I thought I was describing as "pinatas"......laughter erupted because I had accidentally substituted a vowel and syllable changing the word into something more descriptive of women of the evening. I hadn't knowledge of that word at that point and I was just getting fluent on counting words so I was sure my pronunciation was precise; and so it was ... just the interpretation of my words provided the entertainment....and so proves your wisdom "careful selection of vocabulary it is possible to convey your meanings".

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful entry, Ben! I, too, am a lover of words, and a weaver of $50 ones into a $5 lifestyle! In writing my blog, I often explore the dictionary or thesaurus, because I'm trying to construct a sentence with less common use of words. As for those 4 letter things that are so common in today's language, I am offended by them. Thank you for not being a user!
    As for Tom's comment about Father Huntington....I believe he meant to say a 'descendant' rather than an ancestor of those famous Huntingtons, since a priest will never be an ancestor of anyone if he remains a priest! :-)

    ReplyDelete