Sunday, December 2, 2012

Homemade

My holiday decorating has begun. The outside lighting went up yesterday along with a few accessories. The obligatory Santa and wreaths hung out with care. Some of these decorations I have had for many seasons. My collection of stuff swelled over the years, but, in the last couple I have thinned it down some. Too much stuff and the desire to put it all up being contributing factors.
All the outdoor stuff I could really do without. I don't think that would bother me all that much. After all it is more for others to look at, than myself. Like everyone else, once they are up and I have admired my handiwork, I pay little attention to them until it is time for them to come down. The one thing I would miss would be the Christmas tree itself. It is my favorite holiday decoration, next to the Nativity scene of course.
I want a live tree, no artificial Christmas for me thank you. I love the smell of the fresh pine and the way they are never quite perfect. They are just the way God made us, with a few imperfections, but we can dress them up. Just takes a little work and effort on our part. The ornaments are special to me. They are a mixture of store bought and handmade. I like stringing the popcorn and have done so several years. It is not a tradition exactly, but something I enjoy. The store bought ornaments that have survived the years are small treasures. We discuss each one as it is placed upon the tree. Remember this one? I had forgotten about this. All those memories.
My wife is quite the crochet person. Very adept and talented. Over the years she has crocheted ornaments for our tree and they are my very favorite ones of all. Christmas stockings, small wreaths, and covers for the Christmas balls. These ornaments have been shared with family and friends over the years. I'm confident they are hanging on other trees each year. That thought pleases me. I can take pride in her accomplishments and enjoy that. Some years back she made a Mrs. Santa doll and each year she sits patiently waiting for her husband to arrive. His clothing is here and ready for use for his body hasn't arrived yet, perhaps this year.
I would be very happy with just the decorations and the tree for Christmas. I could do without all the hassle of shopping and stressing out about what to give everyone. I'd be content to just sit and enjoy that scene. Christmas is a time for reflection and rebirth. A promise fulfilled. All things are new again. A new year lies just ahead and new possibilities.
You can not buy peace on earth and goodwill toward men. You can not buy the salvation offered to you freely. All the decorations and gifts in the world mean nothing without the love. And the love was revealed to us at Christmas. Each year, each Christmas and within each special ornament memories remain. And memories, my friends, are homemade.

Mrs Claus

1 comment:

  1. LOVE homemade ANYthing..but especially gifts! They're extra special because someone took the time to make them for you!

    ReplyDelete