Monday, December 24, 2012

The Church

Over the years and on numerous occasions I have noticed it and ridden right past. It sits just a stones throw off the road behind an old crumbling wall and surrounded by headstones. A tall box like structure, very plain in its' architecture. The white paint is peeling now and the once green shutters are faded. Looking abandoned and forlorn, it sits in silence. Yesterday I stopped, grabbed my camera and approached this building.
There, just inside the opening in the wall, stands a historic marker sign. This sign explains that I am looking at the Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church. First established on this spot in 1781. Later known as The Church as Mount Moriah. The original building was torn down and replaced with the existing structure in 1926. Placed in the national register of historic places in 1976 regular services ended there in the 1980's. And so this once proud house of worship stands as a testament to faith.
I find it sad that this church should be vacant and unused. How many were married there ? How many carried their worries in those doors and left feeling refreshed ? Happy moments, spiritual moments and yes,tragic ones as well. The tombstones that surround the building testify to that. They are the only congregates that remain. Were did there descendants all go ? Why have they left this church ?
Not being familiar with the tenants of a Primitive Baptist Church I did a search on Google. I read a brief overview and found it fascinating. Primitive, as used in this context referred to being original. So the belief was that their teaching held true to the original teachings of the Bible. Specifically, the King James version.
The primitives split from the Calvinist baptists over disagreements in practice. The primitives do not hold with musical instruments in church. All singing is to be done a Capella. They do not have pastors,rather they have elders,which do not receive formal training of any kind. Baptism is not performed on infants. And one peculiar practice of theirs was the washing of each others feet. That practice was held to keep you humble.
As I walked around this church and burial ground I was struck by how very simple it was. Nothing but the basics here. I also noticed none of the graves had any flowers or wreaths placed upon them. I thought perhaps they had been forgotten over time. After reading what I did of the faith, perhaps this is by design.
I wish I had an opportunity to attend a service there. I suspect it would have been touching in its' simplicity. I would have liked to hear what the Elder spoke of.
Those are the front doors

as it looks from the road
I'm thinking I will occasionally stop and visit. After all, God still lives there. The congregation may lie in silence but their lives were worthy. Their faith was worthy. I'm confident that one day the voices of the faithful will once again sing their praises in this place. It is a peaceful little corner in this increasingly frantic world.


No comments:

Post a Comment