Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dining Out

 As members of the Greensboro historical society my Grandson and I attended the annual Christmas party. It was held last evening on our regular meeting date. The first Monday of the month. We played some trivia games and did the Chinese gift exchange thing. It was a pleasant evening with our fellow citizens.
The majority of the members are 60 plus in age. Most were born and raised in Greensboro or the surrounding area. I, of course, am a transplant but Mark is a native.
The owner of an upscale restaurant is a friend of the society. The restaurant has been converted from a rather historic home here in Greensboro. This home was owned by Judge L Goldsboro, a gentleman of much note in these parts. His family was very prominent, containing Senators,Ambassadors and electrical engineers. Our party was held in this place. We were the only ones there,as the restaurant was only open for our group. The chef cooked exclusively for us. And we did have one server.
It was a good experience for Mark as well as myself. Not being one to dine out often and certainly not at the more upscale places the food was of interest. The appetizers, or as they called them Hors D'voures (SP) consisted of crab dip and crackers along with an assortment of cheeses. The crab dip I was familiar with but the cheeses confused me a bit. One was something they told me was called Brie. Heard of it before and now I can say I've eaten it. Not bad. The others looked like cheddar and pepper jack so I went with that.
There were fresh vegetables available as well and that is what Mark went for.
The main course was served. It was a chicken breast, covered with some kind of sauce and sprinkled with some green stuff. Looked pretty and tasted pretty good. Also a few strips of beef. Spicy and a good snack. The mashed potatoes must have been extruded through a cookie press or something. They were spread like icing on a cake with wave like ripples,or they had green stuff sprinkled on them too. We got eight or ten green beans also. Not very filling but looks good.
Well dining with the cloth tablecloth and napkins was a nice experience. Sitting up all prim and proper enjoying pleasant conversation. Very sophisticated. The setting was very nice. After the meal we enjoyed coffee and a desert. There was a sort of cake that had some fancy name but I didn't try that. Looked like a jelly roll to me but then I'm not up on this stuff. All in all a very nice affair.

Mark enjoying his coffee ! not really.


1 comment:

  1. You made me giggle with your description of the meal! 'green stuff', 'cookie press', etc. I guess we're home-cooking kind of people, huh, Ben?

    ReplyDelete