Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Giving

With Christmas just around the corner I was doing a little reminiscing. As I searched the store for an appropriate gift for the secret Santa game, I remembered how my Mom always left a " little something " for the mailman, the milkman and the newspaper man. Back in those days they were called men irregardless of gender. I recalled how we knew each one by name and his family. Over the years this custom died out. First, by not having a milkman anymore, no home delivery, and then later by law. I remember a story about a mailman getting cards in the mailbox and accepting them. There was no postage affixed and he was fired for accepting " delivered " mail without postage. At that time it was also made clear these service people could not accept gifts from their patrons. Another mail-person was fired for leaving Christmas cards to those on his route without putting postage on them.  What a shame. A shame that you could no longer freely give a gift without repercussions.
I was talking with my Mom this past Sunday and shared this memory with her. She laughed and remembered the story as well. She then told me something I found incredible. She told me her mail-person includes a card that she can use to mail him a gift. The envelope is self addressed but does not include postage. The expectation is that you will put your gift in the card,add postage, and mail it back to him. This just struck me as a bit presumptuous. Then again maybe it is just a matter of practicality. In my opinion it does detract from the spirit of the season. A modern solution to a modern problem. I would think it is also illegal. I should think he is delivering " mail " without postage. Same as the cards that postman was fired for years ago. It makes little difference to me though, I see no harm in it.
This is the first I had ever heard of such a thing. Apparently this person has been doing this for a number of years. Have you heard or experienced this  ? I'm not sure how I would react to it. I'm thinking I wouldn't react positively though. Gifts are for giving. I was always told to expect nothing,that way you don't get disappointed !
In trying to maintain a positive attitude I will not think badly of this person. I will still believe in the spirit of Christmas. I will try to believe this is just an aberration in social custom. After all, we must maintain political correctness at all times. And in that spirit I say, Merry Christmas !

1 comment:

  1. When I read about the self-addressed envelope, I thought that it was a bit of a nerve on his part. I would probably not use it, even if I might have given a gift without his nudge.

    ReplyDelete