Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pack it up

It is time to pack away Christmas and await the arrival of spring. By tradition ,my Christmas tree must be down and the house returned to normal by New Years day. I know of others who leave their tree up much longer, but not I. It comes from having a real tree. Gets a bit dry. The decorations are packed away and placed in the attic. Some will be discarded and others added. This year I will add the " stable " that Mark and I built. I'm hoping that stable will last many years and he come to cherish it. I just love "old " decorations that have been around for many Christmases. Each has a tale to tell, if one but listens. You can never be sure just what ones will remain over the years. The thing is you can't just decide to make a particular ornament or decoration special. That has to happen on it's own. It takes time for real love to grow. In ornaments, as well as people. They may start out flashy and attractive, but will they stand the test of time ? One never knows.
Last year I downsized my Christmas decorations. I did notice it when I unpacked them this year. As I mentioned I'll be adding one this year.
I wonder why we place such significance on certain items. They may be handmade or not. They may be expensive or a dollar item. Perhaps they were given to us almost as an afterthought on someones part. Somehow they become special and treasured. Each one is unique to us. Rarely are they special to more than one person. The other person may understand and appreciate the significance to you, but that item does not hold the same esteem for them. Each item is personal. Sometimes they even lose that status. Then they just become old ornaments or decorations having served their useful life. Out with the old and in with the new.
The Stable
Time to prepare for the new year. No more, Ho Ho. Time to Go Go. Let's us get on with it. We've got a new year to do whatever it is we didn't do last year. Don't waste it.



1 comment:

  1. We always put things away New Year's Day but that's because my husband always had the day off! LOL

    ReplyDelete