Monday, December 17, 2012

Something to believe

I attended my first Christmas play of the season last evening. My grandson Mark was playing the part of Zachariah. The stage setting was wonderful. The costumes were custom made and the baby was played by a real live baby. This child was both John the Baptist and later the Christ child. All the children did a wonderful job, remembering their lines and responding on cue.
The title was, " A Christmas to believe. " The story was told in a narrated fashion. Two young ladies having a discussion about believing in the Christmas story. It was spiced with modern expressions and humor. We are all familiar with the story. As I watched the children perform I couldn't keep the recent tragedy out of my mind. All those thoughts and emotions boiling up inside me. I maintained my composure throughout the program. At the end of the program when all the cast sang together, Happy Birthday to Jesus I found it to be a particularly bittersweet moment. It did give me renewed hope. Hope for the future. If we could only get all children to understand the teachings of a merciful God, perhaps, just perhaps, this madness could be curbed.
It is my contention we all need something to believe in. If we have nothing to believe, what hope can there be ? A return to the values understood by our forefathers is what is needed. The how or why so many have come to not value life at all, I can not comprehend.

Mark as Zachariah 


1 comment: