Saturday, December 29, 2012

No toys for Christmas

The day after Christmas my Granddaughter comes over to my house carrying a few of her Christmas gifts. Remember how we used to do that for a few days? Usually your favorite things you took with you, if possible. Stuffed animals, coloring books or small toys of some kind. As their appeal wore off, they got left home and thrown to the side in favor of newer objects. She had brought her art set with the portable easel and a set of calligraphy pens. Still excited and flush from Christmas she was in an upbeat mood.
A conversation followed. Did you get everything you wanted for Christmas ? Her answer was positive and surprising at the same time. She said ,yes, yes I did  but you know I didn't get any toys this year ? You didn't ? Nope. Well, you got everything you asked for. I had your list and we got everything on it. I know, I just didn't ask for any toys. Then she went on about her business. Just a matter of fact.
Morgan is ten. I wonder if she will remember this Christmas as the one she didn't get toys. I know I've thought about it probably more than she has. Still, it must have been on her mind for her to have mentioned it. She is perfectly happy and content. It is I who feels a little sad. Why didn't I get her at least one toy ? Never one to play with dolls and such things as a lot of little girls, she does enjoy board games. Could have gotten her that at least. I did get her a scooter and that could be counted as a toy, couldn't it ?
I'm guessing I will remember this a lot longer than she will. I can't say I know what Christmas I didn't get a toy. Then again the definition of a toy is a discretionary thing. What I may consider nothing more than a toy may be a serious thing to another. And it works the other way as well. Apparently, in her estimation she received no toys. That just sounds wrong, now doesn't it ? Growing up too fast. She did get what she asked for and what she said she really wanted. Her choice ? No, not exactly. Santa wasn't listening close enough I'm thinking. Won't happen again. I'm going to make sure of that from now on. You're never too old for toys. Christmas is really a birthday party and what is a birthday party without toys ?
Morgan, Christmas 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment