Saturday, December 1, 2012

The path

I was thinking about career choices I have made over the years. First off I'm thinking maybe I should have sold " Grit " magazines. I remember seeing their ads in the back of comic books. Could have gotten a regular route. The boy in the ad got a new bicycle and still had money. A missed opportunity I suppose. Didn't know of anyone else selling them in town either. I did spend some time looking for that elusive silver dollar that was worth thousands. Had  big pictures of that on the back cover of a lot of magazines.
Then there were those matchbook covers about going to art school. Draw the pirate and get a free evaluation of your artistic talent. Never did draw that pirate but I always suspected the art school would have told me I had great potential. I was skeptical even then. Maybe I should have done it, now I'll never know. Could add it to the bucket list but I don't smoke anymore so no matchbooks. Guess they still make them.
Back in those days you didn't see a lot of ads for going to college. Now you can't avoid them. Get your degree online and all that. Never set foot in a classroom, never even open a book ! I suspect if you really wanted a degree you could just buy one. Check e-bay they got everything. No, career paths back then usually involved selling something. Am-way, fuller brushes, Avon and such.
Now, I chose to join the Navy. Higher education was not an option. Besides I could get training for free and get paid while doing it. Sounded like a good deal to me. I went to some schools and learned about steam propulsion systems. Started having a lot of fun and didn't really avail myself of all the opportunities available. Hey, I was young. After the first four years I thought I would go home. Went there,got married and got smacked in the face with reality ! I did learn the basics of a trade, upholstery, but made another choice. Went back in the Navy. Wasn't as much fun the last sixteen years but earned that retirement. It was a career, although I never thought of it that way. It was a job to me.
Since that time I have held a few positions. Mechanic and Public works employee. As I approach the age of Social Security the need for a career looms ahead of me. Guess I had better get cracking on that. I see some ads to go back to school and earn that degree. Of course there are those ads to become a photographer ! Take a few shots and e-mail them in and receive a free evaluation. I'm thinking I have potential. Might have to get new glasses though. The ads promise a fulfilling career and recognition. Well maybe Grit magazine still needs a few more distributors. Or Boys Life. Have to check that out. Wonder if kids read magazines like that anymore ?
The path I have taken to get here certainly has been diverse. I would have to say I have enjoyed it. Don't they say the journey is more exciting than the destination ? I think so. In the end I would like to be defined not by what career I had, but what I did on the journey. 

1 comment:

  1. You have had a "career"; its called Life. As long as you don't get thrown off the journey is always more exciting than the destination. Its because of the diversity. Its what is done in life to enjoy the ride that defines a person. Now you seem to be a writer. Continue on ... enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete