Thursday, December 13, 2012

Contributions

We are all here to make a contribution. A contribution to the whole. And just what is the whole ? The whole you may say is humanity. The existence of man on this planet. Why are we here and what is our purpose ? These questions and more have come down through the ages. Man has striven for the answers. Each of us  contribute something to the response. Some have made tremendous contributions, while others, it appears show nothing but the darker side of man. Good versus evil in an epic struggle. And in the end what achievement do we hope to gain ? Immortality ? World Peace ? Or is it the dominance of nature that we seek ? To rule and control ?
The how or why of the situation I have no idea about it. It is certainly beyond my comprehension. I do know that I am here. I have my set of values and beliefs. My sense of good and evil. It is my desire to contribute to the good. The measure of that contribution is what is of concern. Am I contributing my best effort ? Is this contribution sufficient. ? These are the questions that should haunt the thinking man.
Your response and reaction lies in your faith. Whatever faith one has. We are all, by nature, selfish. Self preservation being an inherent trait. We wish to live. On the other hand we are all aware of our mortality. It is the possible existence of eternal life that is the primary driving factor in our faith. In our selfishness we want to live forever. That may or may not be part of the plan. At the very least our physical self is not immortal. As to the spirit, that is a question of faith. It is my belief that our contribution to the good, determines our contribution to the spirit. For spirit and good are one and the same. This I learned through my faith. And in a sense is that not what is taught in all faiths ? Following the tenants of that faith is a good thing and not following leads to eternal death ! The death of your spirit.
Following this logic it only makes sense for me to contribute to the good. I'm doing it for my own self preservation. I should contribute as much as possible. Being completely unselfish. Love others as I love myself. Sounds familiar doesn't it ? Sometimes the answer is just that simple. I need first be concerned with my own contributions before judging others.
It is in this time of gift giving that man was given a gift. The gift of life. All we need do is make a positive contribution to the whole. The how or why is not important, only the contribution. Self sacrifice for self preservation. Then we may receive the greatest gift of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment