Saturday, November 24, 2012

Words of Substance

I began writing these blogs as a way to present my side of the story. Our story will be told after our passing. There is little chance for rebuttal. My original intent was to just record my memories and thoughts. I thought it may be of interest to my descendants. I know I would like to have the thoughts of my Grandparents or Great Grandparents. If nothing more, they would be of passing interest. A curiosity.
As I wrote more,  I began to stray a little from this intent. They are my thoughts, but I began to include my opinions as well. An essay or two have crept in. And this has lead me to thinking about why I choose the topics I do. These thoughts are truly random as I have no agenda. I do think, however, I have come to realize something about this writing and blogging. I am hoping I write some words of substance. Words for future descendants to read and admire. I will not be remembered for my physical prowess. I am no elite athlete. The other alternative is to be remembered for your intellect. Well, I'm not a  rocket scientist either. These are simple truths and hold no shame. But each of us have a unique story and perspective. Each of us have something to say. And each of us harbor truth.
We are now living in the information age. That is what it has been called and I would have to agree. Never in the history of man has it been easier to share. Never has it been easier to obtain knowledge. We often think of knowledge as a strictly scholarly pursuit. A study of the classics or mathematics. Scientists and professors.
But there is more knowledge than that. There is the knowledge of life. The truths that you learn over a lifetime. It is the expression of these truths that are these "words of substance " I hope to share. That more aptly defines my intent in writing these words.
Some may think I am vain in doing so. Others may think I have an inflated opinion of myself. I can not concern myself with that. Yes I hope to entertain and maybe even share an insight or two with you now. I like hearing comments on my writings. The thing is though, the real purpose is to leave that record. And from that record it is my hope some words of substance will be gleaned. I love to talk, as anyone that knows me will testify, and I'm hoping that even death itself will not silence me ! Is that wrong ? Well at the very least you could always just close the book, use my words as a sort of  reference from time to time.
That's a comforting thought and I think I'll stay with that. I know that through the years I have " referenced " those that I have known when I became a little lost. Maybe I'll be able to return that favor. Pay it Forward.
Isn't that what they are saying now ?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment