Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Time and Change

I was at the store the other day waiting in the checkout line. I was next and the cashier had just given the customer ahead of me the total. Reaching in her purse she pulled out two hundred dollar bills. The cashier takes them as non nonchalant and uncaring as can be. Change was given and it was my turn.
As I watched that little scene unfold I couldn't help but remember. Remember when a hundred dollar bill was a rare sight ? Must be rich to carry one of those around. You might get a fifty on occasion but those hundreds ! I was thinking about that when I checked out. As I gave the cashier my money she reached into a little cup and added two pennies to it. Easier to make change that way. I was thinking then, when I was a kid I could have gotten two pieces of candy for that ! The value of a dollar sure has changed.
Ben Franklin said, " a penny saved is a penny earned." Wonder what old Ben would have to say about people giving money away because it was more convenient than making change ? And honest Abe wouldn't have had to walk that three miles to return that penny either. Every now and again I hear talk of doing away with the penny altogether. The claim being it costs more to make than it is worth. I can believe that. I suspect that if that happens the cost of everything will be rounded up to the nearest nickel ! I don't think I will see that in my lifetime. Might see the disappearance of cash though. Electronic transfer of funds and credit/debit cards. It is already happening and will continue. I find it amazing that I am now paying for the right to spend my own money. Costs money to spend money !
I recall one Christmas when an aunt gave me a hundred dollar bill. It was in one of those cards designed for that purpose. I'm pretty sure it was the first one I had ever seen. I couldn't believe it. I knew Aunt Minnie had more than we did, but a hundred dollars for a gift ! Man, she must be loaded. Now as a matter of routine hundred dollar bills are passed. Fifties are not uncommon and twenties ho hum. Yes, they say pennies you find on the sidewalk are pennies from heaven, now the cashier will just give them to you. And the funny thing is a lot of those cashiers are no angels, believe me. Time and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment