Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Seasons of Tradition

The seasons of traditions are coming fast upon us. Thanksgiving and Christmas. I believe there are more traditions associated with these two holidays then all the others combined. I have not actually sat down and made a list, but when one says holiday tradition, these two come to mind for most of us. Holidays are a time of celebration and stress.
When I was younger I would look forward to these times with anticipation. Today, not so much. It is a sad state of affairs, to be sure. If holidays could only be like " Hallmark. " A "Currier and Ives " Christmas.
I love traditions and the perpetuity of them. It is a comfort to know I am enjoying a tradition that my Grandparents and their parents may have enjoyed. Each generation adopting certain traditions. The creation of a tradition is often an accidental occurrence. One never knows which " tradition " will stick. 
For myself, Thanksgiving dinner must include turnips and jellied cranberry sauce. That's what makes it Thanksgiving dinner ! Having a bowl of fruit on the table and unshelled nuts is also a sign of Thanksgiving to me. Those are my traditions. I certainly would like to spend Thanksgiving day with as much family as possible but that is not what makes the tradition for me. I think that stems from my transient life during my Navy days. Those turnips especially always take me home. 
Christmas. A time for family and reflection. With all the bells ringing and angels singing we welcome our God. For the children it is a time of magic. Gifts under the tree, cookies abound and shiny decorations transforming the home. Christmas, for some, is the only time of the year you will hear people talk to their children about the birth of the Christ. The tradition of the tree ! My personal tradition ? One night, after the tree has been decorated, I will sit up after everyone else has gone to bed. The day is not important just the being alone apart. I will turn off all the lights,except for the tree, and no other devices are on. No radio or television. Just me, the tree and the night. I sit and " listen " to the tree. I tell you, the Christmas tree has many tales to tell if you but listen. Look into those branches past the tinsel and lights. Study the ornaments and their reflections. Another year is coming to a close. Reflect upon that year and listen to the Christmas tree. This listening to the tree is a personal experience. It is nothing one can share. Lessons learned from the Christmas tree. 
This tradition came from my mother. Whether or not she actually does this every year I can not say. I just remember her saying to me, " listen to the Christmas tree " and I always have. It started when I was a young man and I have continued this practice ever since. I expect I always will. Will it endure ? Perhaps, perhaps not. Traditions are only important to those that practice them.

No comments:

Post a Comment