Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gathering

I read about others making their preparations for Thanksgiving. I see on television about the families gathering for the feast. I've seen the Hallmark movies. That is not the reality for me. Never has been. I can barely recall on one Thanksgiving an Uncle and his family coming to dinner. Those gatherings of family are only things of myth and legend to me.
I have always had a large Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. That much is a constant. We just never had a houseful of relatives when I was growing up, although my Mom came from a family of ten, and I never have had one of my own. The closest I have come is having both sons and their wives here.
Thanksgiving is more about the leftovers for me. Cold turkey sandwiches on toast with lots of mayo. The pies and other deserts. Not being a big football fan I am not excited about that. I admit, somewhat shamefully, it is the only meal of the year where prayers of Thanksgiving are spoken openly. And it is a little awkward. No explanation for why that is.
I have thought that it would be nice to have one of those Hallmark thanksgivings. All the family gathered together sharing memories and just enjoying one another. Then I wake up and realize what would more likely be the result. And it wouldn't be about love and understanding. None of us are drinkers but differing opinions would be expressed. And how can I say this, we can become passionate about our opinions. Memories are sometimes best left like sleeping dogs, let them lie. Even though we may share the same memories, those memories may not be the same.
Thanksgiving day is a day of food and immediate family for me. We will cook the turkey and ham. All the trimmings will be laid out. I will have my rutabaga and jellied cranberry sauce. The nuts are on the table. Mom always had dates but those are a thing of the past. Sorry Mom.
My wish is that everyone enjoy the type of Thanksgiving that they are comfortable with. We all have many reasons to be thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment