Saturday, November 10, 2012

Veterans I know

Today being Veterans day I am happy to say Greensboro will be having a parade and ceremony. I have lived here for over twenty years now and missed this event. I didn't miss it because of other engagements or commitments. I missed it because we never had one. Each year I would lament about this. Each year my complaints fell upon deaf ears. But this year is different. This year we celebrate. I couldn't be more pleased.
I like to think I had something to do with this turn of events. That may or may not be the case. No matter, what matters is the recognition of our veterans.
I was asked if I would like to participate. I gladly accepted the invitation. I have gotten my uniform out of the closet, where it seems it has shrunk just a bit, and am prepared to march. I wish to march in this parade to honor my fellow veterans. I relish the thought of joining them once again. I wish to march, just as those before me have marched. It is an honor and a privilege. I can not help but think about all those that have marched before me. Their faith and courage having shown me the way. I am humbled by their sacrifice.
Yes, I am a veteran. But veterans day is not about me. At least not in my eyes. I do not see myself in that light. I am but one among thousands, possibly millions. Veterans day to me is about others. My father,brother and fellow shipmates. All those that I served with and knew, and those I served with but did not know. Veterans. Faceless patriots doing their duty. Men and women performing whatever actions are necessary in the preservation of our nation. Not for personal glory, but for the common good of the nation.
Those are the veterans that I know.
Veterans day was set aside to remember and reflect upon their service. Veterans day is a day to thank all our vets. Those past and those present. Veterans day is not about those that lost their life in the service of their country, rather it is about those that set their lives aside to serve the needs of the nation. For that,we owe our gratitude.
And so today I march. I march behind those that have gone before me. I march alongside those I have served with and I march to show future generations the way. A proud tradition. An honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment