Saturday, November 10, 2012

Guilty Pleasure

We all have our own guilty little pleasures. We may try to conceal them, we may try to deny them and we may even seek to change them, but they remain. They are a part of our makeup and will not be denied. Often we associate these little pleasures with a favorite food or sweet treat of some kind. That is not the only little pleasures we may harbor however. No, there are other things that we know to be morally wrong but enjoy nonetheless. We recognize the fault in this action, yet continue. We revel in it. We look forward in anticipation to the enjoyment we know it will provide. That deep satisfaction we so crave.
I think by this time you are curious. Where will I go with this line of thought ? And just what guilty little pleasure am I thinking about, or more importantly what pleasure comes to your mind ? Do you feel a tinge of guilt ? You know you do. I will admit right now I have thrown off that mantle of guilt and stand proudly. I no longer attempt to hide my pleasure. And what is that pleasure ? It is a simple thing, I absolutely love being able to look you right in the face and say, " I told you so ! " That's it. I love being right. I admit it and I am not ashamed.
I derive great satisfaction in being proven to be correct. When I offer my advice or direction and you refuse it I may feel angry or disappointed. I may become upset. But when the moment arrives and you realize I was correct those feelings disappear. I can not help but say those magic words, I told you so. I know I shouldn't.
I know I should be more gracious and show compassion and understanding. I know the teachings of the Bible. But I won't. I'll say it. Maybe not out loud but I'll say it. Even though I know people strongly dislike an " I told you So " I just have to get that satisfaction.
Do I have others ? Possibly. Could be. I'm not telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment