Saturday, November 3, 2012

A change in Tradition

Trick or treating was rescheduled for last night here in Greensboro. The air was a bit chilly and reminded me of my youth. I recall shuffling through piles of leaves on the way to those doors. I remember it being cold.
I have gone with the grandchildren every year. It is fun to watch their reactions to the ghosts and goblins about. There are a few houses we look forward too every year. One in particular is pretty darn spooky. You must walk down a driveway and enter a tent. Strobe lights are flashing and eerie music is playing. Costumed characters await your arrival. I have always accompanied the kids to this tent. They willingly go to every other door in town but this one they approach with much trepidation.
There is another home however that everyone loves to see. This home is always beautifully decorated with a theme of some sort. The theme may or may not be frightful. In fact, I don't recall it ever being what you would call scary. Now some may say it is a break with tradition and I suppose it could be construed that way. I personally think it is wonderful. This year this home was decorated to portray Cinderellas carriage. Complete with Cinderella, the wicked stepmother and a small mouse ! It was wonderful. The little children loved it ! Finally, a non threatening haven in the midst of all this horror. It must have been such a relief to some of them. Many pictures were taken and I heard no cries of fright.
I'm thinking I would love to see more of this. What fun for the little ones. There is certainly enough horror and bad scenes in the world that we don't need a night to celebrate it. Maybe we could just have a fantasy night of some kind. Homes decorated to reflect a happy pleasant little scene. Like going to a Disney village.
Wouldn't that be refreshing ?

Not my home or picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment