Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The truths of our fathers

With the passing of veterans day and the end of another year in sight I have taken some time to reflect. I have thought about our veterans and their sacrifices. I have watched the passing of another year and have cause to wonder if the country is headed in the right direction. Have we strayed too far ? Have we lost that moral compass that was the direction our founding fathers envisioned ? For our country was envisioned as a moral society. Three branches of government were established to deter corruption and power broking. It has served us well. Now I have fears of the government becoming too powerful. That power is being granted by the electorate, that is true, but is the electorate being deceived ? That is an individual decision. There is no correct or incorrect response. I express my opinion at the polls.
I have thought much about my father and his generation. I have written about that. It still weighs on my mind. I can speak for no one but myself when I say, why have we turned from the truths of our fathers ? How could we have strayed this far ? It has taken me years to come to understand this.. When I was a younger man I thought his way old fashioned and foolish. He was obviously behind the times. Now as I look in the mirror I can see him. There he stands. And he is saying, " what did I tell you ? " And then I remember his words and wisdom. The truths that he spoke come back to me. I hear his words and understanding comes. I was listening to what he said, but not what he meant. A fine distinction. And like a fine wine it has aged with time and mellowed. No longer a fire brand, but full of the light of truth.
I have been told not to live in the past. My response is remember and learn from the past. Remember the truths you were taught as a child. We are all but as children in time. We have much to learn. It is a shame that most of us will not learn these lessons until later in life. I suppose that is the natural order of things however.
Take pleasure in the truth and try your best to teach others. The passing of truth from generation to generation is a scared trust.
A new year is on the horizon. New challenges. Also familiar trials and tribulations. We have been prepared if we but remember. I would be happy to live in the past, some good people are there !




No comments:

Post a Comment