Thursday, November 29, 2012

" Rats "

I,along with millions of others, purchased my power ball winning ticket yesterday. I took my shot at a 550 million dollar prize. Long story short, didn't win. Didn't even get my money back. Another six bucks down the drain ! Well, you can't win if you don't play. I wasn't surprised or disappointed. It was an " rats " type reaction. Check the numbers and say, " rats. "
Although you will hear me talk about the foolishness of basing an economy on gambling I will occasionally participate. I do not wait for the prize to be unusually large however. The power ball prize begins at 12 million, more than enough for me, so why wait for a larger amount ? Truth be told, just winning any amount would be great. A few hundred could come in handy.
I do enjoy the speculation about winning though. All the big plans and dreams. It is pure fantasy. I hear of others spending large amounts of money in an attempt to win. A little research will show you how foolish that is. You have to spend in the hundred thousand dollar range to alter your individual odds of purchasing that one winning ticket. Why I even spend six dollars I can only explain by saying, I got caught up in the whole thing. It is fantasy but the cash is real.
I imagine if I wanted to do the research I could come up with the figures. Certainly it is a matter of public knowledge. The jackpot this time was  579.9 million. That is what will be paid out, in theory. So how much was taken in ? And why is the amount so different if you take the cash option versus the annuity ? Could it be the government doesn't really have all that money on hand ? Surely the amount taken in must exceed the payout. It has been a number of weeks since the last jackpot payout. Don't quote me but I think I heard them say 16 weeks. Pretty good fundraiser though.
Maybe we should fund the Red Cross or some other charitable organization with a similar system. Hurricane relief for instance. Buy your tickets for a prize and the proceeds go to that cause. When you lose, you really win ! For helping out your fellow man sure would make you a winner. The problem lies in the oversight of the program and the disbursement of the proceeds. I'm thinking we could work that out. I believe in the charity of man. I believe we would all want to help out our fellow citizens in time of need. I believe in the human spirit. Just sometimes that spirit needs a little incentive ! The incentive ? Ten per cent of whatever is taken in weekly. If the fund takes in one million, you get 100,000 tax free ! Sounds like a plan to me.
I know there are administrative costs involved and other fees and taxes. But it is a fantasy anyway so that doesn't matter. The government wouldn't allow this because it makes too much sense and there is no profit in it. And if they did decide to do it, the costs for administration would be crippling. " RATS "




No comments:

Post a Comment