Sunday, November 18, 2012

serentity

Serenity is dependent upon acceptance. And the world needs a lot more acceptance. Isn't that part of those twelve step programs ? There is a reason for that, it works ! Yes I know this country was founded upon revolution. I know about the great crusaders of the past and the works of Dr. King. Those that spoke out and acted against injustice and the constraint of freedom. They are to be admired. There are, however, things in this life that you just need to accept. You can start with, the referee missed a call. It is not the end of independence and freedom, no great and meaningful injustice has been perpetrated against society. Calm down and accept the judgement. In the words of Frank Costanza, serenity now !
It is my feeling that a lot of the drama we experience today is due to a lack of consideration for others. We become so absorbed with the premise that I am guaranteed my freedom, that I don't recognize another's. It wasn't always this way. Back in the distant past, like when I was ten, people had a lot more consideration for one another. They didn't insist on playing their music louder than everyone else, they didn't insist on bringing their pets with them everywhere and they displayed some measure of courtesy to one another. Seldom were they confrontational. They just accepted things for what they were. And not every bit of manusha from everyday life requires a law or precedent be set.
There are people that don't like me, or think me foolish, I accept that. There are even those that may think I'm unattractive, gasp, well okay but I'm not insisting we redefine beauty to suit my standards. I accept that.
Listen folks, a child throwing a temper tantrum is not a fight for social injustice ! It is when we, as a person, push the boundaries of acceptance that we cause conflict. Another old adage comes to mind, pick your fights wisely.
I am as passionate about my beliefs as the next man. I can become blinded by that passion. My vision may be blurred and common sense abandoned. When passionate enough about a subject I will continue to press the point even after you agree with me. The fault lies when passion turns to anger. And the distinction is sometimes hard to discern. Especially so if you are on the receiving end. And anger leads to a lack of consideration.
 Dare I say the word, Politeness ? An old fashioned concept ? Serenity Now !!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment